Can I be a self-employed apprentice?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misssweden

DNO Official™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone would be able to give me some advice. I'm starting my C&G 2365 Level 2 in the next few weeks. The main reason for doing that is because I really struggled to find an apprenticeship to do the C&G 2357. Looking around the forum it seems like a lot of people who run their own business would like to train someone, but are having issues with legislation, funding, not enough work etc.

My question is; would I be able to be a self-employed apprentice? Is that possible? And if it is, would that make it easier for me to find work?

I will still need to get an apprenticeship at some point in order to do my NVQ, so if I could get your thoughts/advice on this I would be really grateful.

Many thanks,

Andrea

You are quite right about people not wanting to take on people full time its just the current climate. I personally cannot see that should be a problem to be self employed and it may even be an advantage as you could sub to a few sparks so may even help. Have a word a college.

The Basics - Apprenticeships

People can be employees of multiple businesses and/or self employed, providing their work hours at each business allow it...

BUT..

I always understood an apprenticeship is a full time employment.. 30hrs + per week..

And I cannot see how you can be self employed and an apprentice in the same trade skill as by definition..

If you are competent to be self employed in a trade...

then you do not need basic skills training in that trade!?

:C

The Basics - ApprenticeshipsAnd I cannot see how you can be self employed and an apprentice in the same trade skill as by definition..

If you are competent to be self employed in a trade...

then you do not need basic skills training in that trade!?

:C
That is a very good point. I find this really confusing. And to be honest I've never heard of a self-employed apprentice before, that's why I asked if it is possible.

Apprentices and employers have certain legal rights and responsibilities once an agreement is entered into...

its a bit different from just sub-ing yourself out as a labourer or electricians mate.....

e.g.

Self employed parcel delivery courier at weekends and electrical apprentice weekdays.

would in my opinion be technically feasible.....

But the employer has to have record of you attainments and skills gained to become competent in your chosen trade...

which if you have already got those skills because you are self employeed..

could be considered a bit fraudulent IMHO!

:|

Trouble is Specs I would doubt if many people are taking on apprentices these days. I certainly would not as you just don't know when your work will dry up. And the last thing you want is an apprentice if you are short of work.

Apprentices and employers have certain legal rights and responsibilities once an agreement is entered into...its a bit different from just sub-ing yourself out as a labourer or electricians mate.....

e.g.

Self employed parcel delivery courier at weekends and electrical apprentice weekdays.

would in my opinion be technically feasible.....

But the employer has to have record of you attainments and skills gained to become competent in your chosen trade...

which if you have already got those skills because you are self employeed..

could be considered a bit fraudulent IMHO!

:|
I'm new to the trade so I haven't got any skills as of yet. So, say if I found someone willing to train me, but unwilling or unable to take on an apprentice but would take me on as a self-employed contractor, would that not work?

I do have a part-time job as well, would that be affected if I was self-employed?

Apologies if I'm not making much sense, it's past midnight and I had a late one last night :)

Easiest option: Please can someone just employ me? I work hard and I will bring cakes to work once a week :D

The problem is that 'self employed' and 'apprentice' are legal terms. You have different rights, entitlement to different pay and benefits.

I see what you are thinking but I don't think it is possible.

Not sure I agree with SL that you require any particular skills, you could just be a self employed unskilled labourer or something of similar title, so long as you weren't trying to represent yourself as something you are not.

Its a long time ago but I was on an SC60 as an apprentice,

I done all my work for the same employer, it was just a better option for tax as not all my work was in the UK.

Hello bud,

I'm 25 and an apprentice and to my knowledge you have to be employed to be in a proper apprenticeship, where at the start, just before the apprenticeship starts, you, your employer and a training officer will all sit down and go through the legal paper work which will be signed by all parties.

Then you'll attend college either by day or block release and whilst on site a dedicated training officer will do routine on site progress checks all building up to a portfolio in the final year.

None of this would be possible without a full time employed position I'm afraid.

But good luck, you seem keen, keeping pushing and you'll make it.

I know of a lad thats doing that in the building trade , bit different I guess , but at 17 he found he can get short term jobs with different builders as long as he's self employed . It seems to be the only way he will learn the trade .

Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate your thoughts and ideas. It seems to me that being a self-employed apprentice isn't really possible, which is a shame as that's another option gone.

I'm starting college soon and I really can't wait! :) What I think I'll do is start my course, and once I've got going start looking for an apprenticeship again when I can show that I've got a bit more experience. I'm definately not giving up!

So for future reference, what do you as employers look for in an apprentice? What skills should I work on? Any do's or don't's?

Latest posts