Todays bargain, or not?....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I bought a petrol generator. I wasn't looking for one, but was offered it at what I thought was cheap, and then beat him down to the point I thought it was very cheap.

It's brand new in box. a Swiss Kraft SK 8500W.

It has a 3 phase output socket and 3 single phase outputs. It's rated at 8.5KW peak, 6KW continuous (though how you get that much from what appears to be a 6.5 HP engine baffles me)

The catch of course, being a 3 phase generator, you can't get 8.5 KW or even 6KW to a single phase load, 2KW is the max for one single phase load, though of course you shoulr be able to run three 2KW single phase loads.

It certainly looked brand new, apart from the box was a bit battered. The instructions are next to useless being mainly pictorial and what little writing is (pesumably) in Swiss.

So I put some oil in it, and a splash of fuel, and it started second pull. seems to run okay but not the quietest. It powers my 1.8KW toaster okay. It's set up for 230V though my meter measured it at 225V. the in built meter shows 400V (phase to phase)

Googling does not find much about it at all, this is the best I could find: Google Translate

Anyway I won't say what I paid, but what do you think it's worth? It will probably be going straight onto ebay.

That's VERY similar, but not identical, though clearly made from the same parts.

I read the 200 / 6.5 to mean a 200cc 6.5HP engine (which seems to small for 6KW) but that seller reckons it's 163 cc / 13HP

The same parts being copied Honda parts. 6hp does seem low for a genny of that size. What meter did you use to measure that? My one has such a lumpy output I'm lucky to get any reading!

a honda GX160 engine puts aout 6.5HP, and that [surprise surprise], is a 160cc engine,

you are NOT going to get a 200cc 4stroke genny to put out 13HP and have it last more than an hour.!