Growth on my dogs leg, any ideas???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staffylad

Reaction score
We have a 1 year old Chocolate Labrador called Jackson, who has recently had this small white growth appear on his back leg. (See Photo) It's completely white and only seems slightly attached, about 3mm in diameter. Not like a polyp or a wart... any ideas???

Photo 18-09-2012 12 36 29.jpg

Another dog walker on our estate said that too! Do they go white then?

What do you think is the best thing to do?

can you burn them off with a cig or a red hot poker or something?

that is, if the dogs stays still long enough, or would it just leave a bit stuck in the dog?

Not recommended. You are thinking of the cowboys using cigarettes.

It can cause the tick to regurgitate stomach contents into the dog, causing more reaction and increasing the risk of spreading tick born disease (like Lyme disease).

In an emergency smothering the tick with Vaseline will suffocate it and it will drop off.

thats kinda what I thought,

that maybe the body would fall off or something and leave the pincers/claws or whatever still attached thus causing an infection.

I do know that brown sugar is a good way of getting rid of lower body lice though. :)

I have three dogs (1 choc lab) and we find living out in the country the dogs regularly get ticks. We used to try all things, coating them in butter to stop the ticks breathing, heat etc etc but nothing works anywhere near as well as a tick remover which I bought off fleabay for a couple of quid. Get one and it will make it so much easier. Ticks need removing as they can seriously affect the animals health - especially if carrying Lymes disease (Apache will correct me if I am wrong).