Conex Push-fit :)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brummydave

Reaction score
Used some metal push-fit fittings for the first time today. Top Job!

I chose the Conex Push-fit ones as they guarantee electrical continuity, look smart, and if it went wrong are demountable so I could start again.

Have to say i'm very impressed. The finish (brass) is lovely and they worked a treat. Now my central heating is improved! And i'll be getting stocks in for the other plumbing bits and bobs I get added onto jobs :) . The thing I find is when looking at earth bonding for pipes, it often leads to work needed on those pipes. :|

The copper look ones also look great, but there's inconsistency as to whether they provide electrical continuity and the whole point of paying more for pushfit is to save time on a job and not have to worry about adding green and yellow after. Oh and the non-flame aspect is pretty handy too.

This is the range I went for:

Brass Push Fit - Push Fit Fittings | Screwfix.com

toodlepip!

What pressure are these rated for? I only ask as I've had bad experiences with push fit in the past (different make)

Woudl they stand 10 bar or more without bursting? (I know that's not normal but it's what I found on a job yesterday)

Blimey that's high.

Just been on their website (Conex Push-Fit - New Range of Plumbing Fittings - Conex UK) and it says 16bar at 30degrees. There's oodles more info on there, hope it's useful and has what you need.

I've only run them up to 2 bar but no worries so far. i should mention to demount them needs a well fancy tool (maybe there'll be one on offer at Elex tomorrow!) whereas Cuprofit use a cheaper plastic tool. Which range did you have problems with?

It was on a private pumped water supply where the pump charges a pressure vessel, normally set at 2 bar. But the pump control relay had stuck and the pump was pumping continuously and it had reached 13 bar. I'm amazed none of the plumbing in the house burst.

Wowsas. No pressure relief valves then either? :eek: ! Sounds like a good job you got there when you did and saved them a packet!
I didn't install it. I was just called to fix it.

To make matters worse the bladder in the expansion tank had lost it's air and needed pumping up so the pump was short cycling anyway, adding to the woes for the relay that switched it.

As well as advising he needs a new control box for the pump I also pointed out the complete lack of any over pressure relief valve and strongly advised he gets one fitted ASAP.

I suspect it was a DIY install by the owner.

I didn't think to look at the rating plate for the pressure vessel, but I'll bet it wasn't rated for 13 bar. That would have been VERY nasty if that burst.

Last edited by a moderator: