CCTV white screen

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all, I had a strange problem with a CCTV system. I installed a Swann 8 ch DVR kit (its a good kit , not to many extras but does the job) that the customer bought and i advised fitting a Nite Devil camera over the garage at the rear service road. The system is up & running but i could only get a white screen on the monitor with the Nite devil, which normally is exposure. However i could bring up the on screen menu via the buttons on the camera pcb showing all connections are ok

I tried a different camera, Ok. Iunpluggedd all other cameras from the Dvr (including the on board psu) Still white screen. I took the camera home and it worked on my system. Today i took it back to the job with a spare psu i had and it worked.

I called the helpline number (i did not know System Q are the UK importers of Nite devil & the helpline goes through to them) Discussed this with the tech guy but i think i knew more than him, he only seemed to know amd want to talk about there products and did not know Swann stuff. It seems the Nite devil is 12/24 volt & can handle reversed polarity, the PSU in the DVR ( i am guessing switch mode) although adequately rated could not work out what the Nite Devil needed so it did not operate correctly.

Last thing tonight i had the Nite Devil connected to the 30M run of cable and my PSU and i have got the white screen again. It cant be volt drop ? I am using a 2000ma psu & the cam is rated at 250ma. When i go back i can cut into the cable and fit the psu about 8m from the cam. Any comments anyone !

Is it worth trying to swap it for another with the wholesaler, could it be a faulty camera or maybe a fault with the cable if it's the pre wired type?

have you tried the camera on another channel/cable even your own monitor local to camera?
Yes. Tried other channels I have had it working on the 30m cable but with alocal psu. With it pluged into the dvr psu it shows 12v at the cam but only the on board menu can be accsed through the white screen

Its a psu problem but i cant work out why

I am using my phone, with my porky fingers its hard work

Last edited by a moderator:
this may be a current issue ie if the dvr psu can only supply 12vdc @ 300 mA but the camera requires 12vdc@500mA then the dvr psu cannot give the camera the required current it requires as there isnt enough power to make the camera chip power up hth. ;)

I don't do a lot of CCTV, but last year was asked to install cables for CCTV installer.

They wanted local power supplies 230V at each camera, but this would be very difficult for us with very limited access.

So I searched on the net and read that the cameras could be powered through their own cable.

I put this to the installer who agreed but said some of the runs were to far, from memory the longest run was around 15-20M. This was for the Nite Devil also so I think 30M may be pushing it.