Panasonic Plasma

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
I have a problem with my Panasonic plasma ( mod number TH-46PZ85BA)

I can not get any picture (virgin / PS3 / Bluray) via any of the HDMI inputs............... was working fine until tonight.

No change has been made to the TV, cables have been swapped & all items shutdown & restarted.........still nothing.

The composite/vga & scart inputs are fine.

Does anybody know if this is a fix I can facilitate by changing a board? or is it likely to be an IC failure...............

Found elsewhere:

Symptom:

TV shuts off unless all the input (phono and HDMI) cables are disconnected. The

symptom may be intermittent.

Cause:

There is an abnormal AC voltage entering the TV from one of the input cables or AC

outlet.

Remedy:

Follow the Testing procedure to determine if there is a problem external to the product.

Concept

Constant symptom

If the TV no longer shuts off when all input cables are disconnected, then one of the

input cables is introducing abnormal voltages into the TV. PanasonicPlasma TV sets

have 3 wire AC plugs.

As a result, abnormal voltages introduced into this TV will cause the TV to shut off for

protection.

Intermittent symptom

If the abnormal input voltage is borderline (marginal), the TV shut off symptom may be

intermittent. However the cause may still be detectable with a voltmeter.

Protection Proof:

Release the protect mode - the TV has to be unplugged to reset this protection circuit.

Threats from the HDMI input:

Excessive voltage from an HDMI cable connected product will activate the Plasma TV’s

protection circuitry. Placing an isolating / buffering connector (sometimes called a voltage

conditioner) between the TV and the HDMI input cable often solves the problem.

Testing -

Unplug all the HDMI inputs from the TV. Turn on the TV. Plug in the HDMI inputs one at a

time. The cable that causes the TV to enter the protection state is connected to the product

that has the excessive voltage (and signal). Avoid connecting this product until an isolating

connector is found.

It's a known issue with some sets for the hdcp info to get corrupted requiring the eeproms for the hdmi inputs to be re programmed (by a tv repair shop)

Thanks.

Had an email tonight from a local TV repair chap............."sounds like an IC failure £35 + vat for replacement chip set & it is a workshop repair, so £100 + vat all in"

Onoff scoobed mate........................all working now.

Turn off the set at the plug & leave for 10 mins

Plug in all HDMI turn on the set......sorted all working again.

I have replicated the fault, the connector/socket on the side of the TV (HDMI3) has excessive movement if the screen is moved, it must have a dry joint because when the connector/socket is moved all the HDMI inputs go blank.........& lock out (the buffering connector doing its job I suppose).

Doing the above turning off & plugging in sorted it..............just need to teach the kids not to move the screen.

Just goes to show you need to use the correct terminology when googling TV faults.

Onoff scoobed mate........................all working now.

Turn off the set at the plug & leave for 10 mins

Plug in all HDMI turn on the set......sorted all working again.

I have replicated the fault, the connector/socket on the side of the TV (HDMI3) has excessive movement if the screen is moved, it must have a dry joint because when the connector/socket is moved all the HDMI inputs go blank.........& lock out (the buffering connector doing its job I suppose).

Doing the above turning off & plugging in sorted it..............just need to teach the kids not to move the screen.

Just goes to show you need to use the correct terminology when googling TV faults.
wonder if the 'IC failure' fix would have fixed it?

Dont know Andy, but I did send the chap an email, thanking him for his quote & thoughts on the fault I also explained how the problem was rectified.........just incase he ever came across it again.

i had this happen too, with another 46 inch plasma.

i thought it went away too, then it reared its ugly head again.

then the power supply decided it didnt like supplying power anymore. another common fault that really isnt easy to fix........

at that point it became un-economical (is that a word?) to repair (especially when you consider a new LED backlit panel will have a FAR lower power consumption, like max 100W vs 480W)

was a fantastic tv though.

The only issue is now that Panasonic (Or any other company for that matter) have stopped making Plasmas, chances are it's going to be hard to find people who'll repair them. :/