Compression Fitting On Gas

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll start that I know nowt about gas cookers etc. Basically in trying to trace this b**tard kitchen fitter's "wiring" if you can call it that, I've had cause to remove an end panel off of a run of units. No closer to finding the wiring but I did come across this, what appears to me to be 15mm copper pipe with a compression elbow feeding a gas hob. Is this done / acceptable etc?

Photo0257.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to say....

Go have a look at the great big compression fittings on the pipes by your Gas meter!..

:C

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is OK to have compressions on gas. That's how Isolators are fitted etc. They there seems to be a Special section for gas compliant compressions that all seem to be made from brass. Whether this is is done reduce risk of sparks etc. I wouldn't use any old compression without further investigation.

I would be interested in the definitive answer on this from a gas engineer, but so far none has answered.

My Late father was a plumber (who taught me most of what I know about plumbing) and he always told me that for natrual gas you were supposed to use soldered joints, but for LPG, Calor didn't like solder, and preferred compression joints (wouldn't melt and open up in a fire was their argument)

By the way, contrary to popular belief, LPG does NOT stand for Low Pressure Gas.

Reference my OP above, the leccy supplier for the property has been changed from EDF to BG so they now do both services. They're coming in to fit an REC isolator and service the boiler etc. I'll get the question asked then.

I recently had a new gas hob and the gas bloke at work fitted it and he had to use compression fitting for the hob connection.

It's allowed according to gas regs he said.

Same as what Specs as linked too from screwfix.

He had them on he's van.

He did say he only ever uses them on short runs though.

Compression fittings on domestic gas pipework is fine as long as they are accessible. I asked this wuestion of a GS registered friend only a few weeks ago. AFAIK there is no difference between water and gas compression fittings.

Hi All, There certainly is!! The gas stuff is yellow and a LOT thicker. I was once told by a chap that designed and manufactured chip shop ranges by hand from scratch [rather amazing i thought] that the gas stuff was a different material, but i have no idea what the difference was supposed to be or even if there is one!!

john...