Cat Advice Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misssweden

DNO Official™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like some advice regarding my cat please. He lives with my ex so I very rarely see him but apparently he has started to drink more water than he used to.

My initial worry is that there might be something wrong with his kidneys. According to the information that I can get out of my ex (this is not always a straight forward procedure, most of our conversations ends with an argument and me feeling the urge to steal his toolbox and weigh it in for scrap headbang ) he seems ok in himself, eats a both dry and wet food but is due (probably overdue) to be wormed. He is four years old and lives on a farm, so there is a possibility of him getting in contact with rat poison, fertilizer and other chemicals.

Do I need to worry?

Many thanks, any advice would be most apprechiated.

I am no vet, but I would like to know what type or breed he is, this has a direct influence on the genetic faults on all breeds. It will help Apache to narrow down any symptoms.

Cats will avoid most vermin poisons the smell is not good for them ( Cat from Red Dwarf told me)

There can be a number of reasons why any animal will drink more than normal, dry foods are one example, living with your ex could be another.

I am sure Apache will have some comforting words for you.

We have a geriatric cat, now 18 years old. She never drank a drop of water until she was 15, now she drinks like it's going out of fashion. Bur the vet says she's still remarkably healthy for her age.

Hello there

Some cats drink more than others. As has been suggested there are many things that can affect the amount they drink and dry food and warm weather or centrally heated houses are common reasons. Cats that consume wet food drink very little.

I am more concerned by a change. There are a number of possibilities and kidney problems, diabetes or a urinary tract infection would be most likely. I would suggest getting the cat checked out by your vet. Urine tests might give the answer, but they may need to take some blood to check kidney function etc. The cat is young for those sorts of problems but it can happen.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Thank you Apache! :)

It's really hard for me to assess how much his drinking habits has changed, but I think I will try to get him to the vet for a check up. (Could you please prescribe me something that will help me control my temper whilst trying to persuade the ex to agree to this? ;) ).

Again, thank you so much for your advice, it's really helpful to know that it should be checked out and I'm not just worrying about nothing.

(Could you please prescribe me something that will help me control my temper whilst trying to persuade the ex to agree to this? ;) ).
Just dose to effect

250px-Jagermeister_bottle.jpg

Vodka works for me Miss Sweeden.

And that above but best left when drinking in Germany as a chaser.

Last edited by a moderator: