Buying From Ebuyer.com

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something to be aware of if purchasing from ebuyer.com, 9.2 in their T&C's. Basically if the product goes t!ts up after 6 months they will only refund a proportion of the money:

Any Orders that are over 6 months old and the Product has been confirmed to be defective and a refund is due, the refund will be calculated based on the age of the Order and you will be refunded a proportionate amount of the original purchase price of the Product. This does not include the carriage cost of the original Order which will not be refunded.

Found this out to my cost. Bought my boy a pair of Creative cordless headphones which went wrong about 10 months after purchase. I figured years g'tee etc. Though they have agreed that the kit was faulty under warranty they have refunded me like a tenner short of what I paid in the first place so I'm out of pocket and referred me to the small print above!

I have used them for years now but I will be taking my business elsewhere on principle.

Not the point Gazza - and I`d be of the opinion that they`re breaking the law by doing that, tbh.

Un-reasonable? Its downright underhand. Are the manufacturers going to short-change ebuyer then? Nah - didn`t think so.

If I buy something under which fails under warranty, I`m entitled to an exchange or FULL refund - as long as the product is in the condition commensurate with its age - you could expect to be penalised for un-typical wear & tear, but not otherwise.

Thanks for the heads-up mate. Scoobed :)

Agree with KME. This is one to refer to trading standards.

The retailer has to honour the guarantee, and there is case law that if something fails before you would reasonably expect it to you may be entitled to a refund/repair/replacement even beyond the manufacturers stated guarantee period.

It's not for the retailer to stand the cost, that is usually passed back to the manufacturer, but your contract is with the person who sold you the goods.

I would have thought that this would be against the sale of goods act,,,, from what I know the retailer is responsible for the first year after purchase and can be responsible for up to 6 years... It is not the manufacturer who is responsible.

Have a Google for "Sale of goods act" (SOGA), all the info you need will be there!

Electrical Industry Expert, Online Publisher & Self Taught Guitarist

Owner and Editor for the My Local Electrician Electrical Industry magazine

www.mylocalelectrician.co.uk

ai think i will call myself an expert too, i taught myself to play the guitar and ride a bike without stabilisers LOL :B-

Last edited by a moderator:
but can you blow your own trumpet? :slap

Last edited by a moderator:
The dumbos that run ebuyer can think what they like, not only are they GUARANTEED to lose in a county court they will also fall foul of the Unfair terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 [Oops, forgot, trading standards will only prosecute the "little man" Anyone that has enough money to bite back, they will stay WELL away from..]

Take a look here: All you could ever wish [or need!!] to know...

http://www.bis.gov.uk/files/file25486.pdf

john....

Thanks for the tip, i basically had bought an item recently from ebuyer, but fortunately iv'e not had to return it. Thanks for the tip i shall be more cautious in the future.

good job, will be careful.

although i dont use them anymore for different reasons.

I know that this topic is old, but in my case still relevant.

Bought a smart TV from said company about 10 months ago and last week it went pop, actually crack, when I switched it on. Had to buy a packing box from them in order to send the TV back for what I thought would be either repair or replacement.

The answer from them, quoting the sales of goods act 1979,  that the model purched was no longer being manufactured (yea right - no wonder) and that a replacement couldn't be offered as it was outside of its waranty period of six months.

They paid back approximately 80% of the origninal purchase price. My partner checked with 'Which' and found that Ebuyer were within their rights.

At this point she handbagged them -

I know that this topic is old, but in my case still relevant...
Sorry to hear of your experience, but thanks for your contribution. Although the topic is old, it is not a question / answer type topic that has a more defined end point. Your input is very valid and on topic and once again draws attention to a problem that will hopefully help others out.

Doc H.

Well, its cheap stuff sold in volume. The logistics of shifting so much backwards and forwards must be horrendous. Most  cheap TVs these days are manufactured by one company and badged up with different logos - so I have been told.

So you might not get anthing better in the high street.

We've got a new one from JL. I think their returns policy is of a superior quality

Well............it was me who started this topic and I signed off saying I wouldn't use them again. Sad to say that I have, but for a few low value items like HDD enclosures, memory cards, HDMI leads and a new psu. The prices beat anything else except eBay. I think though for something like a TV or laptop etc I'd pay the extra money and go elsewhere.

Latest posts