Led Lamps Glow When Switched Off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidecutter

Reaction score
Hi

I remember reading something about this a while back but cant remember what the solution was.

I have a customer who has changed the GU10 lamps in the bedroom for LED's but the LED's glow very dimly when the swichis in the off position. The lighting circuit is switched 2 way to a switch beside the bed and apparantly if it is switched off in one orientation of the two way switch it is fine but if switched on at the main switch then switched off by the bedside they glow dimly. I know this is induced voltage but I cant remember what the solution was in the article I read. Can anybody remember seeing the article or know the solution of which colour core to use on which terminal to solve the problem.

The Job is quite a distance away and the problem is not easy to see in daylight so I dont want to spend a lot of time going backwards and forwards.

I hope I have explained this clearly it makes sense to me when I read it back.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this and for any help in advance

Maybe if it's a single pole switch you replace it with a changeover switch with Live on NO, Neutral on NC and Common to the light. Would only work if you have a Neutral at the switch. Also not sure if there's anything in UK regs to prevent it but I think we could get away with it with our regs. It might confuse the hell out of the next electrician to work on the circuit though.

Maybe if it's a single pole switch you replace it with a changeover switch with Live on NO, Neutral on NC and Common to the light. Would only work if you have a Neutral at the switch. Also not sure if there's anything in UK regs to prevent it but I think we could get away with it with our regs. It might confuse the hell out of the next electrician to work on the circuit though.
The OP says its a two-way switched light.

Doc H.

Hi

I remember reading something about this a while back but cant remember what the solution was.

I have a customer who has changed the GU10 lamps in the bedroom for LED's but the LED's glow very dimly when the swichis in the off position. The lighting circuit is switched 2 way to a switch beside the bed and apparantly if it is switched off in one orientation of the two way switch it is fine but if switched on at the main switch then switched off by the bedside they glow dimly. I know this is induced voltage but I cant remember what the solution was in the article I read. Can anybody remember seeing the article or know the solution of which colour core to use on which terminal to solve the problem.

The Job is quite a distance away and the problem is not easy to see in daylight so I dont want to spend a lot of time going backwards and forwards.

I hope I have explained this clearly it makes sense to me when I read it back.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this and for any help in advance
I would be more inclined to suspect one switch is a bit leaky. Try replacing one or both switches first.

Now I would have though bedroom 2-way to be less prone to induced voltages than landing / hall lights...

as..

shorter runs..

+ less other circuits running through loft void..

But as steve says...

you may be able to sort it by re-arranging the strappers..

also..

what cables are used?

3core+E

T&E + single

3x singles?

:popcorn

I have cured this in the past by not running my LINE through the strappers, simply wago/connector block it to the common of your 3 core,

I have never seen this occur on a 2wire strapper system so thought it worth trying and it worked in my instance,

the other solution that has been used by various forum members is 'resload' or similar products.

How is the 2 Way wired, is it live and sw-live across strappers ?
Circuit is wired live and sw/live to terminals L1 & L2 on switch A and switches A and B conected together with black terminals L1 grey terminals L2 and Brown Common terminals

Obviously all non Brown cables have a small piece of brown sleeve on them lol.

Cables used are twin and earth from Light fittings to switch A (live and S/ live)

3 core and earth from switch A to Switch B

Last edited by a moderator:
I have cured this in the past by not running my LINE through the strappers, simply wago/connector block it to the common of your 3 core,

I have never seen this occur on a 2wire strapper system so thought it worth trying and it worked in my instance,

the other solution that has been used by various forum members is 'resload' or similar products.
I will try that Steptoe have to go near there later this week so will call in and try that

y if it is switched off in one orientation of the two way switch it is fine but if switched on at the main switch then switched off by the bedside they glow dimly.
Circuit is wired live and sw/live to terminals L1 & L2 on switch A and switches A and B connected together with black terminals L1 grey terminals L2 and Brown Common terminals
With the way you have it wired in one of the off positions there will be two conductors with mains potential on them and one conductor connected to the light, Which may explain your situation of only glowing in the one state. By reconfiguring how steptoe suggests, you can ensure that during either 'off' state that there is always only one conductor at mains potential in both 'off' states. Which cores in the 3-core cable are adjacent to each other may also carry some relevance I think.. i.e. I think most three core is manufactures with "Brown,CPC,Black,Grey" across the flat profile, so Grey and Black conductors probably have higher possibility of inducing currents between them.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
If wiring 2 way as Steptoes suggestion without buying double insulated single core 1.5 most people use tw&e. What do you think the correct procedure is for the unwanted core ?

As this is to stop induction the spare core should be either grounded or connected to the neutral of the circuit ?

If wiring 2 way as Steptoes suggestion without buying double insulated single core 1.5 most people use tw&e. What do you think the correct procedure is for the unwanted core ?

As this is to stop induction the spare core should be either grounded or connected to the neutral of the circuit ?
the way I was trying to describe slips was to change the existing T&E switch wire from the conventional strapper connections to common and switch,

ie, a twin from the light , connect the brown to the brown of the 3 core, black and grey of 3 core to strappers, blue of twin to common on switch, at other switch brown of 3 core to common.

obviously sleeving where required.

Well on the 3 Core if using the Brown as Common and then Black & Grey as strappers with the twin Live connected to Grey and Sw/Live connected to Black you could try swapping Sw-Live to Grey due to it being on the outside edge of the cpc.

the way I was trying to describe slips was to change the existing T&E switch wire from the conventional strapper connections to common and switch,

ie, a twin from the light , connect the brown to the brown of the 3 core, black and grey of 3 core to strappers, blue of twin to common on switch, at other switch brown of 3 core to common.

obviously sleeving where required.
Interesting, had to draw that out,i have never seen that method but can't see how it woulld make much difference as there will always be dead cable running in parrallel connected to the lights when switched off.

Interesting, had to draw that out,i have never seen that method but can't see how it woulld make much difference as there will always be dead cable running in parrallel connected to the lights when switched off.
I dunno either, maybe it was a lucky one off,

as I said, I tried it as a chance and it worked on the one occasion I did, maybe there was more to it and what I did was only a small part of the puzzle,

:C