The Two New Electrical Registers: "electricsafe" & "electrical Safety Register"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Hudson

Reaction score
As we currently have two very good debates ongoing around basically the same topic, to save people posting similar comments onto the two discussions, I thought it may help to close the existing threads and continue any further discussion on both in here. For background context please read;

ElectricSafe thread;

http://www.talk.elec...ter-from-napit/

webpage http://www.electricsaferegister.co.uk/

Electrical Safety Register thread;

http://www.talk.elec...rm-partnership/

webpage http://www.electrica....com/index.html

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
The concept of a single umbrella brand was agreed by the industry - Electricsafe was registered as a "brand" over a year ago.

The ESC and ECA do not want a level playing field - why would you when you rely on proprietary branding to make vast sums of money selling your advertising to your own members .... ?

With a single register open to all members of electrical competent persons schemes, people have the choice of which route to take in order to gain inclusion on the Electricsafe register, thereby creating competition for members based on price and service - not just who has the biggest marketing budget.

The ESC and ECA chose seem to have chosen NOT to keep to what was agreed and join the EXISTING,AND AGREED REGISTER - but then some NICEIC members already have experience of :

1. 1/2 day assessments morphing into full days at additional cost (for no reason whatsoever).

2. Being charged for additional 1/2 day assessments that never took place (always claimed to be "admin errors") in the hope that the accounts dept don`t notice it and just pay up.

3. Pressure on vulnerable contractors to keep quiet about **** work done by the "brotherhood" on pain of "next assessment ....".

4. Joining BOTH organisations, paying for two assessments, yet only getting assessed by ONE of them.

The list goes on ....

Thats unfair sharpend. I think they work hard behind the scenes for us. The ElectricSafe brand was THEIR idea and the Electrical Safety Register idea was ECA et al response. NAPIT have some good ideas and are very active at promoting us. Its kinda like running on toffee for them because the 'others' are up the road pouring on the toffee.Edited by unphased, Today, 10:10 AM.
Not really Up, as we all in Napit are aware, Napit do a blindingly good job of promoting themselves to the trade but to the public it's a different thing altogether. Whilst I don't dispute that Napit do a lot behind the scenes, it is just that, behind the scenes.

I would like to see Napit as the soldier battling on the front line not the general in the back office.

The Gas Safe Register Brand is owned by the HSE, In my opinion the same should of happend within the Electrical Industry, obviously the problem being that only one company can run the register, in effect putting the others out of business pretty much. Its time the HSE step in and sort it out one and for all, One register job done.

In the interests of fairness, I must add that my comments are based solely on what members of Schemes have told me - I`m sure that they were only having a laugh ..... :innocent

Well here we go again is all I can say.

There's been talk of compulsory registration for some time now, but nothing really happens.

Now we have two half baked schemes, that have no real legal standing, splitting the industry and overall achieving nothing other than confusing people, oh and lightening their pockets a bit in the process.

I fully predict that by the time I retire in 10 years time or so, there will still be no compulsory single register of electricians, and we will still be having the same debates and complaining of poor standards and diy bodges.

I'll just carry on as before and regard this latest in fighting as nothing more than a distraction to keep an eye on, but nothing more.

The Gas Safe Register Brand is owned by the HSE, In my opinion the same should of happend within the Electrical Industry, obviously the problem being that only one company can run the register, in effect putting the others out of business pretty much. Its time the HSE step in and sort it out one and for all, One register job done.
Actually to be strictly correct, the Gas Safe register is currently operated by Capita Group Plc on a 10 year contract with the HSE..

http://www.hse.gov.u...chemecapita.pdf

And people are still missing the point....

It wouldn't matter one jot if HSE ran one register....

Because while DIY bob & DIY tracy can still do their own legal electrics for their mates to earn some beer money on the weekend...

vast swathes of joe & Joanne public will still ignore any registered contractors!!

Reality check please everyone...

We do not work in a licensed industry!!

:C

Gazza said:
And a Licenced Industry would stop those people?
No....

But it may reduce a greater level of DIY bodges than we have at the moment!!

Everyone keeps on spouting off this MYTHICAL wonder register GASSAFE..

that ensures ALL gas work is good....

well thats all just ballcoks and stop valves!!!!

as the GasSafe register webpage itself says there were loads of illegal bodges Gas Jobs done last year...

we read...

Worryingly though 100,000 home improvement jobs ended up with illegal gas work in the last year. In all cases home owners had left their project to a builder, contractor or project manager to handle who in turn subcontracted to dangerous and illegal gas fitters.
So why oh why do people think that one miracle electrical register will achieve more than the not fully successful gas safe register does!?

The bottom line to all of this is simple business economics....

Some brands or affiliations may be beneficial to one businesses marketing and promotion..

and as I have said previously..

we all pay our money (or not) and take our pick....

I am happy enough with the brands and marketing bodies I have chosen to associate with...

If at any time I consider that I am getting back less financial renumeration than what I am putting in I will stop my membership.. Simples!!

I ceased membership of another trade body approx 3 years ago for this very reason..

wasted money...

As I consider I get more business back from my association at the moment with my chosen electrical contractor trade body then I am happy to contine...

I am also happy to be able to stick another logo on my stationary...

Maybe if ElectricSafe reply to me I will also be able to stick that logo on as well!!!

But meanwhile these registers are just gloried version of the Trustmark fiasco which was supposedly to ensure quality tradespersons and be promoted to the genial public!

The safety aspect will be no more successful than the gassafe one is!

Its just business...

You pay your money....

If you are not getting any valued return for that investment ...

then your business planing needs a tweak I think!

But it may reduce a greater level of DIY bodges than we have at the moment!!

Everyone keeps on spouting off this MYTHICAL wonder register GASSAFE..

that ensures ALL gas work is good....

well thats all just ballcoks and stop valves!!!!

as the GasSafe register webpage itself says there were loads of illegal bodges Gas Jobs done last year...

we read...

Worryingly though 100,000 home improvement jobs ended up with illegal gas work in the last year. In all cases home owners had left their project to a builder, contractor or project manager to handle who in turn subcontracted to dangerous and illegal gas fitters.

No....
Interesting there's no mention of DIY gas work in that 100.000.

We all know (don't we) that DIY gas work is perfectly legal as long as you are competent. I guess so few believe they are competent that very few actually DIY their own gas work.

EDIT: I see they are actively discouraging DIY gas work. Has the law changed? is it in fact no longer legal to DIY your own gas work, or are they just trying to make you think that is the case?

Gazza said:
And a Licenced Industry would stop those people?
maybe not,

actually, definately not,

but, it would make the general public think a bit more about who they employ if it was illegal for an unlicenced person to work on electrics, with fines etc if/when they are caught,

by the way, it would be an offence for both the 'spark' and the person who engaged them.

dunno about anyone else, but its a fairly good idea in my mind,

and I have a few really good [imo] ideas about how it can be regulated/policed for an extremely small fee, perhaps +30% onto the already small notification fee which would get passed on to the licencing body,

So the whole point of this is for the general public to have a simple well known single place to find a registered electrician?

But theres now 2 new linked websites?

Going well I see.

The concept of a single umbrella brand was agreed by the industry - Electricsafe was registered as a "brand" over a year ago.

The ESC and ECA do not want a level playing field - why would you when you rely on proprietary branding to make vast sums of money selling your advertising to your own members .... ?

With a single register open to all members of electrical competent persons schemes, people have the choice of which route to take in order to gain inclusion on the Electricsafe register, thereby creating competition for members based on price and service - not just who has the biggest marketing budget.

The ESC and ECA chose seem to have chosen NOT to keep to what was agreed and join the EXISTING,AND AGREED REGISTER - but then some NICEIC members already have experience of :

1. 1/2 day assessments morphing into full days at additional cost (for no reason whatsoever).

2. Being charged for additional 1/2 day assessments that never took place (always claimed to be "admin errors") in the hope that the accounts dept don`t notice it and just pay up.

3. Pressure on vulnerable contractors to keep quiet about **** work done by the "brotherhood" on pain of "next assessment ....".

4. Joining BOTH organisations, paying for two assessments, yet only getting assessed by ONE of them.

The list goes on ....
I have NEVER had problems with NICEIC, all assessments have been fair and quite straight forward. I would suggest some of these comments are from the ill prepared and possibly incompetent - ******** and hersay at wholesaler counters is nothing more than Chinese whispers and should be taken with a pinch of salt. I myself am persuing a rogue sparky with the aid of NICEIC - it's a lot harder than it sounds to nail the b******!!

In the interests of fairness, I must add that my comments are based solely on what members of Schemes have told me - I`m sure that they were only having a laugh ..... :innocent
sorry went off on one before reading this.

As for a single body - about bloody time

NICEIC cant be any harder than trying to get NAPIT to sort out one of their totally incompetent members to sort out not only a bodge of an install, but a toal bodge of trying to correct it as well.

they are all much of a much when it comes to bean counting in my experience.

I have NEVER had problems with NICEIC, all assessments have been fair and quite straight forward. I would suggest some of these comments are from the ill prepared and possibly incompetent - ******** and hersay at wholesaler counters is nothing more than Chinese whispers and should be taken with a pinch of salt. I myself am persuing a rogue sparky with the aid of NICEIC - it's a lot harder than it sounds to nail the b******!!
I know the b******* and he is a total disgrace!! Hope I've been able to help - but as with all scam providers there is a vested interest in keeping their members sweet!

Well.......

I filled in the application boxes on the How to join bit of Electric safe a couple of days ago...

http://www.electricsaferegister.co.uk/join.aspx

Had a phone call back form a guy today asking a few bits and to confirm my scheme reg No...

He said all was OK...

so far i still don't appear on the register...

Dunno how long its takes to update their records to the register???

I'll let you know when I appear....

{the first none Napit man in my area!!!

Rock and roll.

I'm in NAPIT, so I might ring the ECA/ESC/NICEIC & ask to be on the other register- OH hang on I can't

Whats the reason for that then!!!!!