Raspberry Pi

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone got it or tried it.

I think CPC/Farnell have sole import, it's very cheap and seems like hooking it up to your TV for a bit web browsing for around £24-£60 + Vat is worth a play.

The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized Linux computer that connects via HDMI to your TV or monitor.

This diminutive computer is capable of anything a desktop PC can do, including spreadsheets, word-processing, games and the output of high definition video.

Specs - 700MHz ARM11 ARM1176JZF-S core, Supports XBMC, Runs Raspbian optimised version of Debian Linux OS, Broadcom VideoCore IV, OpenGL ES 2.0, OpenVG 1080p30 H.264 High Profile encode/decode, Boots from SD Card, 2 x USB ports, 10/100 Wired Ethernet RJ45, HDMI output, 3.5mm Stereo audio, compatible video, GPIO header, 512MB SD Ram.

Sounds very interesting and if anyone has one and can give a review it would be appreciated, if not I will get one and see how it performs.

I had one. Sent it back as faulty. Second one was just the same. Decided I may the the fault and gave it to a chap who knows much more about computers than I.

Maplin also sell them.

Been tempted to get one for development uses, not as a computer as such but with xmas creeping up on us, I need to save all my 'spare cash' for the wifes pressie.

No I didn't buy one, but probably will in the future.  I briefly looked at one as a microcontroller for my solar PV dump project, but ended up using an arduino for that.

In the boating world, people have managed to get the free Chart plotter software Open CPN working on them to make a very cheap low power chart plotter.  That's the sort of project that interests me.

CPC are now selling the "new 512MB" version for £24.96 plus VAT. The other main distributor for them is RS

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they do them with WiFi?

If so I may give one a go to use as a media server!!
Noz, yes they do a WiFi usb for it, the kit version for about £55 has it all plus mouse and keyboard, not sure about a case though which is about £6.

I think I will get one then to have a play around with.

I have one on my list for father Christmas :)

My primary idea is to try it with XBMC as a media server like Noz, I have a cat5 at my tv.

There is a guy has built a 'supercomputer' using a couple of dozen of them, and someone else has put one in a ZX Spectrum case with emulation, so has a very slick 1980s computer.

There is a bit in one of the Linux mags this month about them.

not sure kerching,

you will be able to stream 4od wirelessly as long as you have a wi-fi dongle for the Pi,

Im unsure as to whether a normal wi-fi dongle will work or not, Ive never looked into that as in my case Im not going to need one.

Latest posts