Stooooopid Range Cookers.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got one of those Belling range cookers Gas hob and double electric oven. A few months ago, main oven was incinerating everything. Traced fault to temperature controller and thermocouple. thought it odd that the controller just pushed on the back of the oven switch. Not much keeping it in place. A few weeks ago oven started incinerating stuff again. nice batch of bara brith - smelt loverly - burnt to a crisp. assumed the controller faulty again and contacted Espares who immediately sent out a replacement with instructions to send faulty one back.

Anyway pulled stove out this afternoon and pulled the back off. I should add that because its a gas hob there is just a 4" gap between the hob and the oven and the controller is mounted on the front panel so you have to work at arms length holding a torch in your mouth and lacerating your forearms on all the sharp bits of pressed steel in the process. When I took the back off to see, the controller was just sitting there, come off the back of the switch so wasnt seeing the position of the temp knob. what a pain in the ****

DISCLAIMER

I'm sure Belling stoves are excellent but my experience in repairs and maintenance of the aforementioned item was a bad one

Surely just because it's a gas hob that doesn't stop you from taking the top off does it?

If you can get decent access, a modification (extra bracket) seems in order.

Surely just because it's a gas hob that doesn't stop you from taking the top off does it?

If you can get decent access, a modification (extra bracket) seems in order.
not thats simple Dave. its 1200mm wide and has 8 burners of which we use 1 or 2 :)

no visible screws or anything to take the top section off in any case and hacksawing £1300 worth of stove not an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
not thats simple Dave. its 1200mm wide and has 8 burners of which we use 1 or 2 :)

no visible screws or anything to take the top section off in any case and hacksawing £1300 worth of stove not an option.
That's what I hate about modern stuff, it's all hidden, even when there's no good reason to hide it.

There MUST be a way to get the top off without resorting to the hacksaw.

Dave, I also [well the wife] have a range and there is NO visible way of getting the top off, almost as if it has been folded after the controls have been fitted,!

I reckon it'd be half a day screwing bits apart to get the sides off etc before the front panel becomes easily accessible.  :eek:

I had to change one of the rings of a neighbours all electric cooker a while back.

Like you, I could see what I wanted to get at, but no way to reach it, and no visible means of unscrewing the top, but it was obviously a separate part.

In the end I worked out you had to remove the complete side panels from both sides. Only then did it reveal the fixing screws for the top plate.

It went back together without the screws. There is still another accessible screw holding the top down, but the inaccessible ones serve no purpose apart from adding a lot of time to the job.

I would never buy another Belling oven, Hinges kept having to be replaced and the door seals didn't seal.

Quality isn't there the handle on our belling cooker has broken twice. We have a warranty on it so the next time the element goes they can fix the handle as well.

Latest posts