DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Sign in to follow this  
Onoff

Knowledge Base

Onoff

With the proliferation of consumer units about, clones, copies call it what you will and then large groups pedalling a number of different brands I think a "Knowledge Base" like this on the Whitegoods Forum would be invaluable here. I mean "BG" standing for British General I believe but is it really "British"? MK allegedly "dumbing down" the quality of some of their fully loaded cu's etc. Any entries would of course need to be kept factual and not urban myth!

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/about-the-appliance-industry/manufacturer-information.html

Edited by Onoff

Admin 3

Perhaps you could explain more what you mean by knowledge base and what you would want from it

As a side note we are looking into setting up a WIKI on this site which will have many knowledgeable articles on it and be fully searchable with content and categories, this wont be till the first quarter of next year though

Onoff

Perhaps you could explain more what you mean by knowledge base and what you would want from it

As a side note we are looking into setting up a WIKI on this site which will have many knowledgeable articles on it and be fully searchable with content and categories, this wont be till the first quarter of next year though

If you click on my link to UK Whitegoods then it lists the majority of the white goods suppliers in the UK. Clicking on each gives you, to varying degrees, the history of the company, the brands it encompasses etc along with comments as to spares availability, agents and support. Could this not be done for the major manufacturers here? For instance on the list you would have say Crabtree, clicking would take you to the Electrium entry and you could see that Wylex, Volex and Crabtree are all owned by Electrium. Clicking on BG and you would find that in fact the stuff is made in China owned by Nexus group etc - the reader would be able to see there's little "British" about them.

Evans Electric

I think its a good idea . 

Personally I hate being fooled by those snidey devices like sticking a Union Flag on a product , which merely means it was imported to somewhere in Britain , warehoused , packaged then sold as British .

The Crabtree catalogue avoids the issue of where the stuff is made .

MK are saying its all made in Britain ...Jury is out on that one .  

We did make a start on this a while ago with stuff like a Crabtree grid switch is exactly the same product as a Volex grid switch .  Only the name is different.

ProDave

Yes it's always amused me in the past that people have been happy to fit a wylex CU, but if you suggest they fitted a Marbo or Volex one, they would tell you they are not fitting that cheap carp (they are all in fact identical except for the printing)

Evans Electric

I dropped Crabtree after the Great Dodgey MCB Recall of 2011 and now fit Control Gear (Curve) boards  . OK they're made in China or somewhere but they seem OK .  No returns at the wholesalers apparently , enclosure is rigid PVC  instead of the ones that distort so you can't get the cover on . 

Denmans don't sell Hager , which I feel are better quality and european made .

Anyone know where the Siemens stuff is made ?  Germany ?  or China?

Canoeboy

http://www.siemens.co.in/en/news_press/index/mcb_db.htm

Dont think they make a lot in Germany any more due to high overheads....

Evans Electric

Knowledge base could have stuff in it (for newbies) say, who may wonder what the hell old Pharts are talking about when they say ....Pyro ...Piro.. what the hell,s that ?   Ah  MICC    And now   (just to cause confusion)  its called  MIMS   ( And this Old Phart doesn't know what that means . ) 

Onoff

UK Power Networks......................note the "UK":

http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/about-us/our-ownership/

So their page tells us they're owned by the Cheung Kong Group....................a good old English name if ever there was one. So......................more digging:

http://www.ckh.com.hk/eng/

The UKPN site doesn't exactly make it obvious does it? Not even a link to Cheung Kong Group that I could find.

AKA "Sweet n Sour Power"  :lol: I really think that trading using the UK and British names when the stuff is made abroad is plain wrong and dilutes our identity. But then I think we should still have a domestic car industry.................and coal....................and................. :coat

I dropped Crabtree after the Great Dodgey MCB Recall of 2011 and now fit Control Gear (Curve) boards  . OK they're made in China or somewhere but they seem OK .  No returns at the wholesalers apparently , enclosure is rigid PVC  instead of the ones that distort so you can't get the cover on . 

Denmans don't sell Hager , which I feel are better quality and european made .

Anyone know where the Siemens stuff is made ?  Germany ?  or China?

Pretty sure the 30,500 Chinese employees don't sit there doing nothing:

http://www.siemens.com/about/pool/regions/siemens_china_en.pdf

Marvo

I think you'll need to come up with a comprehensive definition of 'British'. Is it British if it's assembled in GB but the components are manufactured in the Eastern block? Is it British if it's manufactured in the Eastern block but solely under license of a UK company. If you only want to install thoroughbred British items I can't help thinking you choice is going to be limited if not completely non-existent and your customers are going to be depressed when they get the invoice.

kerching

As for MK made in the UK.......

Fitted some MK switches recently and I am sure they had Made in France written on them.

As far as I know the cheese eating wine swigging surrender monkeys are NOT part of The UK

Marvo

As far as I know the cheese eating wine swigging surrender monkeys are NOT part of The UK

I checked this statement with a French guy I know and he concurred.

steptoe

I checked this statement with a French guy I know and he concurred.

:slap

As for MK made in the UK.......

Fitted some MK switches recently and I am sure they had Made in France written on them.

does Caneoboy eat cheese?

:C

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.