DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Sign in to follow this  
Riggy

Ventilation Rates

Question

Riggy

Anyone know where I can find recommended ventilation rates for school toilets and the like please?

17 answers to this question

Canoeboy

My mate is a HVAC designer, just sent him a text, if he isn't in the pub i may get an answer for you !

kerching

from my recollections of the smell in school toilets the answer is 'not enough!'..............it's the sort of smell that sticks to your clothes for hours

Canoeboy

from my recollections of the smell in school toilets the answer is 'not enough!'..............it's the sort of smell that sticks to your clothes for hours

:slap

sprocketflup

our school toilets looked like mini factory chimneys and smelt more of fag smoke than anything

Onoff

Recalling our bogs the question would not have been "ventilation rates" but "is spliff smoke thicker than baccy smoke?". Seriously check CIBSE regs for toilets:

"Building Regulations apply; opening windows of area 1/20th of floor area or mechanical ventilation at 6 litres/s per WC or 3 ACH minimum for non-domestic buildings; opening windows area 1/20thof floor area (1/30th in Scotland) or mechanical extract at 6 litres/s (3 ACH in Scotland) minimum for dwellings."

Apache

Are they still on tracing paper to wipe your arse?

Riggy

Recalling our bogs the question would not have been "ventilation rates" but "is spliff smoke thicker than baccy smoke?". Seriously check CIBSE regs for toilets:

"Building Regulations apply; opening windows of area 1/20th of floor area or mechanical ventilation at 6 litres/s per WC or 3 ACH minimum for non-domestic buildings; opening windows area 1/20thof floor area (1/30th in Scotland) or mechanical extract at 6 litres/s (3 ACH in Scotland) minimum for dwellings."

Thanks for that.

Is the CIBSE document available online, or have you bought it?

Riggy

Nobody uses tracing paper nowadays, and I'm sure a flatbed scanner would be much use in this context!

kerching

As I recall 'Izal'   and the lower quality 'Bronco' bog paper  did not actually perform any 'wiping function' per se.  It was more of a faecal redistribution system........................ :Hits the fan:

Many a time, whilst in a rush to get back to lessons, I was overenthusiastic in my clean-up operation, skidded off the target and went up my shirt-lap;  even had to cut it off once using a balsa knife from the Art room.....................just saying :shakehead

Edited by kerching

batty

My Italian grandmother used to buy the Izal.

:_|

sprocketflup

My Italian grandmother used to buy the Izal.

:_|

cheap lasagne pasta? :)

batty

Not after you have finished using it.

Technician

Woud the figure of at least four air changes per hour make any sense?

Only a suggestion.

Canoeboy

My HVAC mate said at least 10 air change per hour and you will need door grills or make up

Evans Electric
As I recall 'Izal'   and the lower quality 'Bronco' bog paper  did not actually perform any 'wiping function' per se.  It was more of a faecal redistribution system........................ :Hits the fan:

Many a time, whilst in a rush to get back to lessons, I was overenthusiastic in my clean-up operation, skidded off the target and went up my shirt-lap;  even had to cut it off once using a balsa knife from the Art room.....................just saying :shakehead

I thought I'd laid the spectre of "Izal" bog roll but now its all returned to haunt me again  along with the smell of urine mixed with stale Woodbines or Park Drive that only exists in the bogs of an  all boys school  plus the anguished cries of 1st years having their heads held down the pan while the cistern was flushed.  And they were outside and open ended too. 

Technician

Stale Woodbine's and Park Drive... reminds me of

crown bowling greens, hot summers and the first

surreptitious pint of bitter when it was less than 15p

a pint.

Technician

Apostrophe abuse;  WOODBINES.

Lynne will have me trussed up for

that.