Ventilation Rates

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recalling our bogs the question would not have been "ventilation rates" but "is spliff smoke thicker than baccy smoke?". Seriously check CIBSE regs for toilets:

"Building Regulations apply; opening windows of area 1/20th of floor area or mechanical ventilation at 6 litres/s per WC or 3 ACH minimum for non-domestic buildings; opening windows area 1/20thof floor area (1/30th in Scotland) or mechanical extract at 6 litres/s (3 ACH in Scotland) minimum for dwellings."

Recalling our bogs the question would not have been "ventilation rates" but "is spliff smoke thicker than baccy smoke?". Seriously check CIBSE regs for toilets:

"Building Regulations apply; opening windows of area 1/20th of floor area or mechanical ventilation at 6 litres/s per WC or 3 ACH minimum for non-domestic buildings; opening windows area 1/20thof floor area (1/30th in Scotland) or mechanical extract at 6 litres/s (3 ACH in Scotland) minimum for dwellings."
Thanks for that.

Is the CIBSE document available online, or have you bought it?

Are they still on tracing paper to wipe your arse?
As I recall 'Izal'   and the lower quality 'Bronco' bog paper  did not actually perform any 'wiping function' per se.  It was more of a faecal redistribution system........................
default_Hits%20the%20fan.gif

Many a time, whilst in a rush to get back to lessons, I was overenthusiastic in my clean-up operation, skidded off the target and went up my shirt-lap;  even had to cut it off once using a balsa knife from the Art room.....................just saying :shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:
Woud the figure of at least four air changes per hour make any sense?

Only a suggestion.

As I recall 'Izal'   and the lower quality 'Bronco' bog paper  did not actually perform any 'wiping function' per se.  It was more of a faecal redistribution system........................
default_Hits%20the%20fan.gif

Many a time, whilst in a rush to get back to lessons, I was overenthusiastic in my clean-up operation, skidded off the target and went up my shirt-lap;  even had to cut it off once using a balsa knife from the Art room.....................just saying :shakehead
I thought I'd laid the spectre of "Izal" bog roll but now its all returned to haunt me again  along with the smell of urine mixed with stale Woodbines or Park Drive that only exists in the bogs of an  all boys school  plus the anguished cries of 1st years having their heads held down the pan while the cistern was flushed.  And they were outside and open ended too. 

Stale Woodbine's and Park Drive... reminds me of

crown bowling greens, hot summers and the first

surreptitious pint of bitter when it was less than 15p

a pint.