Anal Glands

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manator

©Honorary Essex Boy™
Reaction score
Hi Apache, our female dog has some terrible problems with her anal glands is there a way that I could empty them (the thought disgusts me) but it must be better than watching her in discomfort.

I remember doing it when I was a young lad, my dad always had working dogs but have not done it in years.

Yes it is dead easy, just unpleasant. Have you got some nitrile or latex gloves?

Two main techniques:

1. Internal - this is the most effective and the method we use at the vets. Insert your lubricated index finger into the rectum and palpate the anal sac with your thumb, Squeeze with your thumb towards your index finger. If very full you can have to squeeze quite hard to start off. If you are flexible you can twist round and do the opposite sac. If inflexible like me shove thumb up rectum and use index finger to squeeze from outside. Wipe with some paper towel and job done.

2. External - favoured by groomers! You take a handful of paper towel over the rectum and squeeze from both sides firmly towards the rectum. Often the glands will partially empty. It can give some relief but is much less effective.

Just use fairy liquid as lube.

Anal_Gland_Anatomy_Dog.jpg

Pic source http://petremedycharts.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/anal-glandsac-problems.html

Why is it  that cats never seem to have the anal gland problem...or is it just me never heard of it?
They do get anal gland problems but very rarely. I have known of two cats with the problem and hundreds of dogs.

Cat food tends to contain more meat and give higer residue faeces that probably help natural emptying.