Combi Boiler

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, I need a new combi, my boiler has been on the way out for a couple of years now, and its finally on its knees,

funny noises and continually locking out,

I have a main combi24 at the minute, does anyone have any thoughts on these ? there is also a 24 version, but for £50,,,,,,,

apparently they are made by vaillant, and as far as I can find its all good reviews on them,

BTW, I have an electric shower if thats of concern.

Personally I would NEVER have a combi boiler.

WHY do you want a combi?

I would go for a conventional boiler with either a mains pressurised hot water tank, or a heat store tank.

Either will give you mains pressure hot water at a MUCH greater flow rate than any combi.

I would only consider a combi boiler if nobody in your house EVER takes a bath.

If I get the chance to build another house, I will use a heat store system, so much easier to combine multiple heat sources e.g woodburner, solar thermal and a conventional boiler.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Combi already fitted Dave, I would say 3 baths whole of last year, and little one even prefers a shower now.

Electric shower BTW.

Local wholesaler has Biasi 28kw for 430 +vat.

From my experience you are better to pay for a quality make as these are more efficient. There is a Sime combi boiler in our house and I have to say it is rubbish yet the equivalent Baxi, Valliant, Bosch are much better. However I'm not buying a new one, so over to you.

From my experience you are better to pay for a quality make as these are more efficient. There is a Sime combi boiler in our house and I have to say it is rubbish yet the equivalent Baxi, Valliant, Bosch are much better. However I'm not buying a new one, so over to you.
I know from experience that the Worcester Bosch service team are excellent,,, they usually come out within the next working half day and they have a van full of bits so it would be very rare for them to not be able to fix it there and then.

E.g. An elderly customer had a fault,,, they thought that it was the timeclock or room stat so called me, I found that it was actually a boiler fault and phoned the service team (11:50) they said that their guy would be there that afternoon. True to their word he came and fixed it straight away.... No nipping off to get bits as he had a fully stocked van!

arent gloworm rebadged baxi ? or is it biasi?

anyway, looking around a bit more doesnt seem that biasi get many positive comments, bit of a mixed bag from what I can find,

its just going to have to be something cheap and see how many years I get out of it and hopefully some spare cash by then.

Just dont buy a Ferrolli.... pile of garbage if you ask me.

I bought a Ravenheat Condensing Combi from B&Q 7 years ago, there was 10% off and it was a bank holiday so another offer meant another 20% off. Ended up buying it for about £400 which seemed like a bargain. Never had it serviced since all they do is take the cover off, brush the dust out, check water pressure and charge you £100 and its never missed a beat....... that is until Scottish Power decided to blow the control boards up with their antics. Just had new boards fitted at a cost of £300 plus the call outs which probably means the repair cost more than the boiler(SP paid anyway). can't fault it really for the price.

Had a ravenheat about 25 years ago when combis were relatively new and had no bother with that either.

But who's heard of Ravenheat?

Ive in the past done loads of ravenheat oil burners, not seen a gas one yet though,

new turn up, discovered the wife has had the stat at max this past week! why?  :shakehead

anyway turned it back down to its usual 20 and everything [touch wood ] seems ok, apart from the noise coming from the boiler, which has been going an a while now, and just the occasional lock out,

might, just might, give me enough time to get a couple of more quid together for something decent, hopefully,

googling, the fault can be a few things, flame sensor faulty, condenser blocked/full, ignitor bad, or, which Im hoping for, overheat on the boiler - which might make sense if stat is up full and the TRVs are all off,

only rad without TRV is small 600mmX400mm , still, the noise continues so its time to seriously think about a replacement,

and about time I fitted this prog-stat I got sent, then she cant mess with it anymore,!  X(

I'll update tomorrow on the situation,

thanks for all the input,

Don't like to worry you, but I've been reading a lot about boilers on another forum and the consensus seems to be that condensing boilers are nowhere near as reliable as conventional boilers.  Problems with the metalwork of certain bits corroding and boilers being scrap after 7 years or less.

Opinion seems to be avoid a condensing boiler if you can.  Yes it will be less efficient, but not if you have to get a new boiler every 7 years.

Apparently you CAN still fit a conventional boiler if there's a good reason not to fit a condenser.  No access to an external wall for the condensate drain is the most plausible.

I would be very interested to hear from those that fit and service boilers regularly to hear if this is true, or just internet BS. Also if true, do the same issue also apply to oil fired condensing boilers?

Do they not suggest you have a magnaflow thingy to prevent corrosion. Next time I get my boiler serviced I think I may get one fitted.

Ok, we have now calculated a budget of £700, 800 totally max, so should get something a bit better,

Ah, condensate, therein lies another problem, existing boiler simply has a pipe through the wall, it doesnt actually go into a drain anywhere!

Will need to investigate this some more, thanks for the heads up Dave, will speak to plumber at work tomorrow.

Why don't you get BG out to fix it for their fixed fee repair,,, you might then get another couple of years out of it to save up for a better one.

BTW you can get pumps that allow you to pump the condensate up and over if you need to.

Thanks rev, house is built on a raft, but the downspout drain is only about 3m away on the corner,

I thought maybe it hadtogo to a run off drain somewhere, I can sort that out then.

Have found a Ravenheat 85 for 500 :) and they seem good, just unknown, and 3year warranty. 

as I said before steps, mine was the cheapest combi around, missus spent most of the budget on fancy acova rads that look like the old cast ones so cost was an issue. Its never let me down except when Scottish power blew it up. Am I right in thinking its a British product too?

Don't like to worry you, but I've been reading a lot about boilers on another forum and the consensus seems to be that condensing boilers are nowhere near as reliable as conventional boilers.  Problems with the metalwork of certain bits corroding and boilers being scrap after 7 years or less.
Opinion seems to be avoid a condensing boiler if you can.  Yes it will be less efficient, but not if you have to get a new boiler every 7 years.

Apparently you CAN still fit a conventional boiler if there's a good reason not to fit a condenser.  No access to an external wall for the condensate drain is the most plausible.

I would be very interested to hear from those that fit and service boilers regularly to hear if this is true, or just internet BS. Also if true, do the same issue also apply to oil fired condensing boilers?
Don't think location would matter in terms of building regs, I have connected condensate pump units, fitted by heating company that have their own level sensor to activate and pump to anywhere.