Compex Ex1, Ex 2, Ex 3 Ex 4 Course

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dii

Reaction score
Hi everyone new to this forum.  I just wondering if anyone has completed the Compex EX 1,2,3,4 Course?  And any recommendations of where to complete it?  I have found a place in Aberdeen Aset and it costs 815 pounds just wondering is this a good price? Thanks

Please tell me to go away if you wish, but do you have the promise

of work that would justify such an expense?  It looks like a great deal

of money and I would imagine that the location, Aberdeen (off shore

& all that) may be a good place to earn some of the cash that would

give you a good living.

I have been up there (St Fergus) and there are still some good and

well founded opportunities but, may I suggest that you look at this in

a highly critical manner.

Respectfully, hope this helps.

ive job lined up actually in australia, just wondering where is the best place to sit this course? is it difficult? thanks

A job in Aus?  A few of the others might be able to advise.

yep barrow island gas plant your required to have compex which is recognised nationally, my other option is same course in aus called H A costing 5800 dollars

Have you worked with Ex kit before?

Are you familiar with terms like Zones, T class, methods of protection Exd, Exe, Exia etc, gas groups?

If not your head will be nipping with all these new terms.

Are you familiar with making of SWA / braided cables, you will have practicals involving this.  They tend to use Hawke Universal 501 glands.

£800 ish for the course is in the right ball park.  There is two places in Aberdeen that run CompEx, one place in Falkirk and one place in Middlesborough, there will be others but that is the ones I know of.

Just let me know if you have further questions as I have done the course several times as they are only valid for 5 years.

Good Luck.

s

Hi Roys,

Thanks for your reply.

I have not much experience in Ex I have done some glands and JB boxes.  I am not familiar with this terms  Zones, T class, methods of protection Exd, Exe, Exia etc, gas groups. 

I have lots of experience with SWA/ Braided cables. 

Can you recommend ASET in Aberdeen? It is costing 815 pounds (5 day course) EX 1,2,3,4. 

Is the exam/course difficult? Do I need any books or course material? Any help from you with all my questions would be really appreciated.

I have been reading on a few forums is it true they dont let you leave untill you have passed the course?

Thanks again for all your help.

Desmond

Hi Desmond

Personally not done that course at ASET (done mine at Fakirk and abroad)but spoke to many people who have and not heard any negatives except from the ones that you hear from all the courses, ie. time to do the practicals and so much info to take in especially if it is new to you.

'Not allowed to leave' think that must be in reference to the practicals, and they are only doing that so that you have the best chance of passing.  The written side of it is multiple choice and is sent away to be marked.  The good thing is that if yo do fail one part of it you only need to go and sit that part.

I see you are in Ireland, I am in Stranraer quite a lot, in fact this weekend, are you ever across the water, if so I can give you a load of practical and written stuff.  I will make sure a gland or two with me.

Look up Hawke 501 universal glands as that is what you will probably be using although you will have a head start if you are familiar making these ends of for you practicals.

Speak soon roys

Hi Roys,

Thanks so much for all the info it is great.  I am actually in Australia at the moment going to the U.K to do the course hopefully next month.  Is there any way you may be able to email any written and practical information-no problem it not though as I know its alot to ask. 

In your experience what did you find difficult in the course? 

Thanks again

Hi Desmond

Yip no probs re sending info, let me have your e-mail address, think you can PM it to me, re this forum I think !!!!  Maybe a question for Admin there.

mmmm most difficult part of the course, it is a good course but none of it is a walk over, think the trickiest part for me is picking up on the faults on the boards they already have set up.  I had a tendancy to pick up on stuff they didn't want, and I seem to remember the instructor saying 'find another' on top of the say 5 faults I had to find.  I had found 5 faults but one of them was not the one they were after.  The instructors won't give you the answers during the practical testing but they certainly dropped a hint or two if required, they know who the donkeys are and they won't get through the course.

I have seen electrical engineers on the course I am talking about guys who are fresh out of Uni with no practical skills, they failed gloriously.

Anyways if I get you e-mail there will be some stuff on its way to you.

Are you working in Aus just now? and awaiting your CompEx before the start in Barrow? 

roys

Hi Roys this is my address: caoiverowley

at

h.....l

dcom

Hi Roys,

Yeah i am perth at the moment. I need to do the Compex course for the job I would like out here. That would be brilliant if you could email me any information.

I found the Compex Course for 765 In Roxby Middlesbourough-it pays to shop around. I am also going to complete the S4 HV Switching Course in the Faraday Centre and then to finish off the puzzle an access offshore 3 week course in Ireland. I want to make sure I have all the skills they need when I come back out to Australia. It will be a busy few weeks at home.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Desmond

I hope you understand my message.

it is gmail not hotmail   d=dot

Hi Desmond

That is it sent to you.

Hopefully I have the e-mail correct I take it that is at hotmail in the middle of it?  Let me know if you get it.

I have done my HV courses at ASET and at Cumbernauld which is the Scottish Power Training center.  The Faraday center has a good reputation but not done an HV course there myself. 

Keep in touch roys

Got it, thanks again so much for your time and help roys, ill get cracking on it straight away, and ive also got  price of compex down to 740 pounds, pays to shop around!

Desmond

HI WOULD ANYBODY KNOW IF I HAVE ENOUGH QUILIFACTIONS TO OPTAIN  A JIB GOLD CARD??

City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation  Part 1 and  Part 2.

City & Guilds 2382 Level 3 the 17th Edition of the Wiring Regulations BS 7671

City & Guilds 2356 NVQ Level 3.

City & Guilds 2407 Level 3 Testing & Vefification of Electrical Installations (Ireland).

City & Guilds 3667 Level 2 Optical Fibre Internal.

City & Guilds 3667 Level 2 Optical Fibre External.

City & Guilds 2800 Instrumentation and Controls.

KNX Intelligent Building Control Systems.

ELA Award HV Switching.(Faraday center).

OPITO Approved Mist

OPITO Approved Bosiet

OPITO Approved Banksman

OGUK Medical

Compex will be completed end may

Would anybody know if i have enough quilifications to optain my  "JIB GOLD CARD"??

Hi I have started a new topic under 'JIB GOLD CARD'.  Thanks to everyone for their help re:  Compex Course.

Could someone confirm whether or not the party/person who

delivers Compex training has to have any form of license or

approval.  I was asking around at the weekend and had no

conclusive answers.  Some of you guys who have done it may

be best placed to answer this one.

All compex courses are done at approved centres, exam papers are all marked by jtl,

Im looking to do mine in the next month or so, either at NETA or at roxby both on teesside

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts