Samsung R530

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laptop, Samsung R530 running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. It WAS working OK until I replaced a cracked screen. I was VERY careful "mechanically" speaking and it was in fact a doddle to do. However, upon firing it up there was a "hardware change" message which I sadly didn't take much notice of - probably clicked YES to continue or something.

Anyway, Windows starts as in it says "Starting Windows", then the blue password screen. Enter the password, a bit slow, BUT when the desktop comes up none of the icons have any names below them - see picture. Apologies for the quality I had to photograph the screen with a camera. Clicking on Start and NOTHING happens. CTRL/Alt/Del to go to Task Manager and just arrows with no "words" after them. On the wordless Task Manager screen is a RED icon which enables me to turn the thing off but that's about it!

I have whipped out the HDD to try and get some important files but can't access My Documents as I don't have permission!

Any suggestions gratefully received! Just about to Google the problem.

SAM_5431_zpseb22894a.jpg

SAM_5432_zps3d399105.jpg

SAM_5433_zps2c47569e.jpg

Looks like the system fonts have somehow been uninstalled / corrupted. Very strange indeed. It's even odd that the system detected a new screen as a hardware change, I would open it back up and double check your connections, if all are ok the i would suggest a system file check. this may prove a little tricky with no text, but basically press the start / windows button type 'cmd' without the quotes adn press  enter. black screen (command prompt) should pop up. It should have some text, but obvioulsy in your situation this may be missing, type 'sfc /scannow' without quotes again and press enter.

Note this process can take some time and if you have no text, you have no idea when it is done, keep an eye on the hard drive activity light, once it's stopped flashing for a whille, that could be an indicator that the process is done. reboot and see what happens.

if that fails, try a system restore to a earlier point.

Do you have text if you enter safe mode?

if all that fails, you could try re-installing the graphics drivers.

if all that fails, do a windows 7 in place upgrade.

IF ALL THAT FAILS................... THROW IT OUT THE WINDOW.......

If you want to back up your files first then put you hard drive in a USB case and make a new user account on another PC using the same user name you had on your laptop, also set a password on the new user the same as the laptop as well. When you log in with the new username you should then have access to the documents on the laptop harddrive.

If this doesn't work let me know, there's a couple of other ways to workaround the windows security but it's probably not good on the open forums.

Looks like the system fonts have somehow been uninstalled / corrupted. Very strange indeed. It's even odd that the system detected a new screen as a hardware change, I would open it back up and double check your connections, if all are ok the i would suggest a system file check. this may prove a little tricky with no text, but basically press the start / windows button type 'cmd' without the quotes adn press  enter. black screen (command prompt) should pop up. It should have some text, but obvioulsy in your situation this may be missing, type 'sfc /scannow' without quotes again and press enter. 

Note this process can take some time and if you have no text, you have no idea when it is done, keep an eye on the hard drive activity light, once it's stopped flashing for a whille, that could be an indicator that the process is done. reboot and see what happens.

if that fails, try a system restore to a earlier point.

Do you have text if you enter safe mode?

if all that fails, you could try re-installing the graphics drivers.

if all that fails, do a windows 7 in place upgrade.

IF ALL THAT FAILS................... THROW IT OUT THE WINDOW.......
Cheers for the rapid response. I'm typing this then off on a PJ so will pick up again later:

Safe Mode looks like this when it boots up:

SAM_5434_zps3952cc14.jpg

In effect SAME issues, NO TEXT, clicking on any icon and nothing happens still.

Starting normally and as above, first picture. Clicking on Start and NOTHING happens - can't even get to the command line to type in cmd..........just not there! Funny enough though I have my Skype icon come up and clicking on that and Skype sort of shows up - the bulk of the Skype window shows but clicking say the Tools tab in Skype and I DON'T get the drop down list of "tools". Ditto for Skype, Contacts, Call, View etc

Thanks all. Got to shoot to this private. Will pick up later. Just looking at it whilst having dinner!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to back up your files first then put you hard drive in a USB case and make a new user account on another PC using the same user name you had on your laptop, also set a password on the new user the same as the laptop as well. When you log in with the new username you should then have access to the documents on the laptop harddrive.

If this doesn't work let me know, there's a couple of other ways to workaround the windows security but it's probably not good on the open forums.
I have had the HDD out and in a SATA to USB docking station - this just to run AVG on the HDD via another pc. Now then, I know the Windows password but can't for the life of me remember the user name for the laptop....................

If you browse the drive you can go C>Users> and you should see directories with the names of all the users that were set up on that installation along with a few others such as Administrator, Public, Default etc.

If you browse the drive you can go C>Users> and you should see directories with the names of all the users that were set up on that installation along with a few others such as Administrator, Public, Default etc.
That's weird................when My Documents wouldn't let me in I had the Samsung HDD in the SATA docking station plugged into my boy's Acer laptop running Windows 7. Just tried plugging into my old desktop running XP Pro and no access problems at all - can see everything!

I know,

I know,

have you tried running Ubuntu Live on the laptop?

it will be able to get all your files off the [now unmounted] HDD, and simply copy them to a USB device.

you can do this without removing the HDD from the laptop,

then you can either re-install windoze, or upgrade to Ubuntu permanently,  :D

BTW, it should do this all without any pw being required anywhere, Linux reads on a higher level than windoze,

( I know thats not the proper terminology, buts its the way I understand it)

I know,

I know,

have you tried running Ubuntu Live on the laptop?

it will be able to get all your files off the [now unmounted] HDD, and simply copy them to a USB device.

you can do this without removing the HDD from the laptop,

then you can either re-install windoze, or upgrade to Ubuntu permanently,  :D

BTW, it should do this all without any pw being required anywhere, Linux reads on a higher level than windoze,

( I know thats not the proper terminology, buts its the way I understand it)
Thanks. OK, I'm taking the Ubuntu "leap"......been putting it off (scared mainly). Watched a YouTube tutorial etc & just downloading the ISO image to make the disc and something called Infraburner ! There'll be questions!  :lol:  And here's the first ones.........

1) So you're saying I can copy my files under Ubuntu from the HDD whilst it's still in the laptop onto say an external USB HDD?

2) Tempted by this upgrading to Ubuntu permanently. The GUI on YouTube looks really good for a start. The (Samsung) laptop didn't for a start come with a copy of Windows 7 (and I never made any recovery discs either). Assuming then that I can install Ubuntu onto the laptop I'll lose Windows 7?

3) If, and I'm getting ahead of myself here I was to look into a "dual boot" scenario does that mean I'll have two partitions........one with Ubuntu on and the other with Windows 7? Do I have to start from scratch to do this dual boot thing? I'd like say Windows on one partition, Ubuntu on another and the rest (3rd partition) as one big disc..........

4) A bit concerned I might lose my Samsung drivers if I upgrade to Ubuntu permanently!  

Once you have saved your files it is worth running system restore at startup (F8 as bios ends). My money is on a corrupt graphics driver install caused by failure to recognise the new screen correctly... If it was mine I would swap the hdd for a completey new one and do a windows 7 )32bit if that was the original OS ) install from a retail disk

If it can't it's hardware. If it can its software/settings/drivers and the old installation might be fixable ...

Once you have saved your files it is worth running system restore at startup (F8 as bios ends). My money is on a corrupt graphics driver install caused by failure to recognise the new screen correctly... If it was mine I would swap the hdd for a completey new one and do a windows 7 )32bit if that was the original OS ) install from a retail disk

If it can't it's hardware. If it can its software/settings/drivers and the old installation might be fixable ...
My bro in law has exactly the SAME laptop..............anything I could steal off of that, driver wise?

All the drivers you need in addition to those on the W7 disk are under the downloads Tab here http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/NP-R530-JA02US

but if you are running windows 7 32Bit as I think you will be it is rare that windows /windows update drivers wont make the thing basically functional on install. (dodgy audio /webcam/network drivers excused until you can install the right ones.   So :

-  Are you 101% sure it is the correct screen, as that seems to have been the trigger and windows clearly thought something had changed too.

-  Was it totally powered down /battery off while you did the swap?  Have you tried a power down /battery off since ?

-  Does it just have the integrated Graphics or is it a model with a graphics module/card too (in which case bios setting may need putting right if its now trying to run both)

-  And did you have to disturb the motherboard end of the graphics cable to install (e.g. its on a module/card and clipping the display on the Module part clipped the other end of the module off?

-  Are any errors showing up during the BIOS POST display ?

The BIL's laptop may be useful as a point of reference but short of some inspiration and not having all year to untangle it I would proceed to some fundamental tests :

For troubleshooting I would buy a new laptop hard drive of the right spec (your BIL CAN read the model from device manager and google the spec but you could also either take a look at what's in there and/or assume any current SATA and 9.5mm high (aka10mm) Drive will fit until proved wrong) install it (easy)and use anyones retail windows 7 disk (or a downloaded and burned iso from digital river http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3316.2-1-microsoft-windows-7-official-iso-download-links-digital-river.aspx) to just try an install (no license key needed for 30 Days - the key on the bottom of the laptop is unlikely to work without a very polite phone call to MS BTW)

(The reason I'm suggesting that rather than using the Samsung recovery partition is that the recovery partition restore will delete all your files etc first and may still not work in which case you still wont be 100% sure . . . so this way all is clear and nothing is lost . .   HDD's are cheap online!)

If it works then it is worth using the recovery partion restore as that will install 'OEM licenced' with all drivers etc but you will then still need to copy your 'saved' files, email etc back from your backup.

Just check the BIOS and hardware one more time before starting though . .

I would still check the fonts folder and repair the fonts registry, how to can be found with a quick google.

Did you do anything other than change the screen, a bit like after you replaced my socket downstairs, the lights upstairs don't work so it's your fault.

OK, a wee update:

I managed to make an Ubuntu 12.10 Live DVD. Ran it on the laptop and chose to "try" rather than install. The Ubuntu Desktop is up with two folders on "Examples" and "Install Ubuntu 12.10" then a line of icons down the left hand side; "Dash Home", "Firefox" etc. Think I'm impressed though not sure WHY yet!

Guessing then the screen I replaced IS the correct one and it's thus a "Windoze" issue?

EDIT: I've just edited this message for the sake of it but USING the hitherto dead laptop thanks to this Ubuntu!

What's more impressive with this Ubuntu is that I ran the Live DVD forgetting that the HDD was still in the USB docking station. So, a laptop, no hard disc and I was still able to get on the internet all off of an OS on a disc! It ran like a big tablet  :lol:  Wasn't that slow either. My first foray into Linux, very, very impressed so far.

If I take the option to run Ubuntu along side Windows 7 how does that work - do I get an automatic dual boot option?

Cheers

ok, you think its fast on a disc,?

wait til you boot it from HDD,

the big problem with putting it alongside your current windoze is it will simply compress your windoze and it sometimes guesses it wrong and fragments files,

BTW, Ubuntu doesnt usually need any drivers, if you boot/install it with a wired connection it will automatically configure itself to almost all of your hardware,

some issues can be had with certain wifi drivers and printers [normally curable] what printer/wifi card do you have?

Im not sure where Gparted is on 12.10, try top icon [dash home] and search gparted in the bar, hopefully it is on the 12.10 live DVD.

if you really want to run a dual boot the ultimate best solution is to wipe your HDD and partition it before you install anything on it.

I have a PC running Ubuntu, CentOS, windoze XP, and red hat, just down to how many primary partitions you make originally, and then make one big partition formatted to FAT and put all the files you want to share across your different OS's on that part,

Ubuntu can read FAT, but windoze cant read EXT [which is Ubuntu preferred format style] .

try something first,

Im not sure exactly what 12.10 looks like on a LIVE disc, is there an icon bar down the LHS?

if so

go to home, 2nd from top, should list devices connected to your PC there, try and open your USB drive, or it may be a different name,

it may also show up as an icon down near the bottom of the bar, just above the bin.

Thanks. OK, I'm taking the Ubuntu "leap"......been putting it off (scared mainly). Watched a YouTube tutorial etc & just downloading the ISO image to make the disc and something called Infraburner ! There'll be questions!  :lol:  And here's the first ones.........

1) So you're saying I can copy my files under Ubuntu from the HDD whilst it's still in the laptop onto say an external USB HDD?     yes

2) Tempted by this upgrading to Ubuntu permanently. The GUI on YouTube looks really good for a start. The (Samsung) laptop didn't for a start come with a copy of Windows 7 (and I never made any recovery discs either). Assuming then that I can install Ubuntu onto the laptop I'll lose Windows 7?   depending on how you do it

3) If, and I'm getting ahead of myself here I was to look into a "dual boot" scenario does that mean I'll have two partitions........one with Ubuntu on and the other with Windows 7? Do I have to start from scratch to do this dual boot thing?  preferably    I'd like say Windows on one partition, Ubuntu on another and the rest (3rd partition) as one big disc..........   thats a better way, but ideally[safer] to start with a blank HDD

4) A bit concerned I might lose my Samsung drivers if I upgrade to Ubuntu permanently!  ubuntu uses its own drivers
in red    :D

Who said it was a font issue?

Been a while but having killed the boy's Acer I was FORCED into fixing the Samsung R530 and.............it was UBUNTU that saved the day!

From searching it appeared that the file FNTCACHE.DAT in the system32 folder needed to be removed but of course under Windoze 7 I couldn't see it!!! So I used the Ubuntu Live DVD and removed the Windows file using that. Then removed the Ubuntu DVD and rebooted the laptop. Seems that as it boots it "rebuilds" the font cache?

All screen icons back and labelled and the START button works!

Result, needed a "win"!

Cheers to all who helped.