First Assesment Questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toml

Reaction score
basically im working for a building company who have taken me on to do most of there electrical work (bathrooms, extensions, kitchens, new builds etc)

i have my 2391 papers etc and ive done a few jobs (installation of an outside light at the gaffers and 2 extensions for his mates) ready for the niceic / napit / whoever to inspect but i havent yet signed them off...........but how do i get round signing them off myself ready for the inspection, surely if we do it through building control then the certificate will be in the name of whoever signs it off and not me, would the niceic asses a job that hasnt had a certificate issued yet?

Thanks

Tom

You do your installation certificate for the job ready for your assessment, then once assessment is done submit Part P, although after the 6th April you may not need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
so i dont need to submit the part p? all i need to do is the certificate to say i can test it, fill out a test sheet etc

To start you need to fully certify your installation, you can use this installation to demonstrate to the assessor that your are competent, and providing all other assessment requirements are met you should then once accepted be able to submit notification for Part P to local buildings control.

From the 6th April notification of certain works are changing, basically less notification. Do a google on it.

That's how guys that have worked for me have done it, so I assume it's ok.

When I first registered with niceic they told me,

Any work I do befor I got inspected can not be then certified with nic as the works was done befor I got assessed and accepted.

I have read on here that the other lot nappit, elecsa will allow you to notify works that was done befor you get assessed and accepted into the club.

To be assessed for niceic I was told the works need to be notifiable like new circuit/ consumer unit etc.

I did mine all correctly as I Like to and did not want any cock ups and have to pay for a revisit.

Building controll in my area (Essex) told me for new circuits they would need to inspect any routes and what I was up to befor I started, and pay £150-200 for a visit. I chose to do some new consumer units as building controll said they don't need to inspect befor works starts as there are no new routes. I completed my consumer unit change the day befor my assessment ( just needed a couple stickers and end caps ;) ) after assessment I still had 29 days to notify building controll. Which was enough time to receive my letter of acceptance from niceic. I then notified building controll, and gave them a copy of test certs, niceic acceptance letter, all my qualifications, info on my been in the trade for 10+ years and I also got a friend to do a EICR. Because of the EICR building controll said there was no need to send out another spark to test and charge £200, so a guy from BC came out had a quick look and charged £97.

I did do it the correct way. If the other lot will let you notify works done befor you joined that would be cheaper and easier.

Niceic will want to see completed certificates, as they' want to see a completed job and that you know how to fill in certs.

it was my understanding if you want domestic status you need to do a domestic job even if your king of the industrial.

I thought with niceic you can be approved but not have domestic status if you dont do that scope of work (street lights for example) which means you cant notify building controll with out the domestic status.

when i joined the club with NICEIC i was told i need to be qualified supervisor for 1 year minimum befor i can apply for Approved contractor status

I thought with niceic you can be approved but not have domestic status if you dont do that scope of work (street lights for example) which means you cant notify building controll with out the domestic status.
But isn't registering with one of these scheme members mainly to sign off part pee work?  If you "don't bother" with that bit, what is the point is spending several hundred pounds a year?

If you do commercial and people(insurance company etc) want an NICEIC approved contractor as a mark of quality. It can give customers confidence the company knows what it's doing, it's insured and qualified.

I work for 2 companies that are NIC AC and they never do any domestic, and never need to part-p any thing.

But isn't registering with one of these scheme members mainly to sign off part pee work?  If you "don't bother" with that bit, what is the point is spending several hundred pounds a year?

By that logic NIC/ECA/BSI etc.. would not have been in existence prior to Part P (2005)...

But the reality is they have been around in excess of 50+ & 100+ years..

All trades (not just electricians) have their various trades organisations and bodies ..

which provide various benefits, discounts, advice, legal assistance, marketing, other perks etc...

that can help their members..

And every business has to decide if the benefits of membership of any organisation is a bonus or a loss to that business.. 

Part P IMHO is only one small part of those considerations.

Hence the bigger names electrical bodies have been around well before Part P!

:coffee