Unsteady And Sleepy Kitten After Neutering...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sciamo

Reaction score
I have a seven month old Tonkinese kitten named Guido...

He played all the time, ran all over the place, and was a bundle of energy.

About two weeks ago he was neutered.

The night I brought him home he ran around, playing, just like normal.

The next morning, he could barely walk.

I took him back to the vet where he spent the day.

He returned and is still:

1) Very unsteady - put him down on the floor and he falls over.  He jumps on things then falls off.  He is mainly unsteady in his rear legs.

2) Sleeps all the time.

3) Stretches still, but always seems to prefer being rolled up in a ball - even when I carry him.

I took him back to the vet and paid for expensive blood tests.

1) Everything was fine.

2) There was nothing left from the anaesthetic.

3) His potassium levels were fine (I had a previous unsteady cat and that was the problem).

4) He had elevated white blood cells.

They put him on antibiotics for a week.  That week is up today.  I am supposed to bring him in today.  There has been no improvement.

I am very frightened that he will never get better.  He is still the same... unsteady, sleeping, and rolling in a ball.  He is such a sweet kitten, I feel so badly for him.

The vet was VERY quick to explain to me that this was NOTHING to do with the surgery (odd how it happened right after they operated on him) and that this would have happened whether or not they had operated.

I cannot keep spending money on this as I just don't have it.  His insurance kicks in on the 20th but with no pre-existing conditions.

I honestly do NOT trust this vet.  They always seem to be quick with costly additional procedures   But any new vet will charge initial consultations fees I cannot afford.

I would be very grateful if anyone out there can offer an explanation for what is happening to Guido. Even better, a possible solution.

Thank you very much for your time.

Ryan

Some cats respond badly to anasthetics - mine attack their water bowl, which is weird. The little darling is probably a bit sore still, but I'm sure Apache will give you better advice.

It sounds very strange. Usually male cats cope with castration very well. There is a drug we use called ketamine that can make them behave oddly the day of the operation but that gets out of the system quickly.

There is something going on here and it is looking most likely to be infection. Infection is an accepted risk of any surgery however well performed. I wouldn't be surprised if the signs you now have are related to the surgery, but I'd say very unlikely to be your vets fault.

A second opinion with another vet is one option, but at the very least go back for your scheduled appointment.

Let us know how you get on :D

I phoned the vet and went to get two more weeks of antibiotics.  She said that she would like to test for Feline Leukaemia and FIV or something if he's not better by then.  I just hope he is.

Claws crossed...

Thank you for your support!

Binky you should seriously video that water bowl attack...

Feline leukaemia virus and feline immunodeficiency virus (also called 'cat AIDS') both can cause a weakened immune system and would make the cat more susceptible to infection, so is worth ruling out.

:D

Latest posts