Plug In Solar

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky Bob

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a plug in solar kit? A couple of websites are offering these kits, mainly as a DIY fit which means they wouldn't qualify for a feed in tariff. I think the idea is that they would sit in a garden or on a garage roof. They have an integral micro inverter and simply plug into a 13amp socket. The panels are 250w each and come as singles or up to 4 linked together. I have two questions for anyone with any experience of these:

Are they any good in terms of customer satisfaction?

The websites claim that if they are plugged into a system that has the old analogue meter and not all of the generated electricity is used, the meter will turn backwards - effectively crediting the account? Is this true?

Thanks for any help or opinions.

see my post on backwards meters.

Would you want to run a 1 kW for very long periods on a plug, or would you consider it likely to burn out!! If you have a decent roof, and want to fit it yourself with guidance from me, PM me, and I'll see what I can do.

Now there's a nice thought - enough sun to generate a KW for long periods!

Thanks for the offer but I'm not looking at fiiting them for myself - just thought I'd offer them on my website if the general feedback was any good. I would have thought a plug top would cope ok with 1kw but I would see these more likely being sold an a single, maybe twin, for people looking to bring their energy bills down a bit without the investment of a full roof-top PV set up.

Plugs in to a standard 13A socket??, I cannot see how anything that feeds 230v AC mains onto a plug with exposed bare pins when removed from the wall can be considered safe or compliant with BS7671. Sounds like one of those extension leads AndyTM refers to as 'Widow Makers'.

Doc H.

They say they are MCS certified but to me they are dangerous. I assume the RCD plug they plug into is non latching so if its removed they disconnect the power produced.

Interested in this system for two panels. What the cost for 500W sys? Just an inverter price please MCS recognised.

you would have to use micro-inverters or 2 off Stecca grid 300w at about £200 +VAT, panels and framework add another £350ish, biggest cost would be fitting. Why only 2 panels, hardly seems worth bothering?

As already have 3kw sys. This one will be just an experiment. Plus have some spare panels to use.