Revision - Transformers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misssweden

DNO Official™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm revising for an exam and we haven't really done anything about transformers since before xmas. Can someone please check if I have done this calculation right?

"A transformer has 50 turns on the primary and 8 turns on the secondary. The primary is supplied at 600V. The output on the secondary will be...?"

Am i right in thinking it's (voltage of winding / number of turns) * amount of turns on the secondary? So (600/50)*8 = 96. So the output would be 96V?

If I'm wrong please tell me and I'll try to work it out. Thank you :)

Correct...  you just need to remember that....

Voltage Primary/Voltage Secondary = No Of Turns Primary/No Of Turns Secondary = Current Secondary/Current Primary..

So whatever values you are given use and transpose the bits accordingly..

BUT don't forget that the current ratio is arse about face to the others.. i.e  Secondary:primary  not Primary:Secondary.

Bottom line is (excluding small losses) the transformer does not generate or consume any power,

so if the Voltage goes down.. the current must go up.. so V*I remains equal on both sides..

(thats why need care with conductor sizes on low voltage lighting as 50W @ 230V  = 0.2A ish  

but 50W @ 12v = 4A ish)

Guinness

+1.

As I drive about I am amazed at the long term reliability of these beasts.

Some have been in continuous service for at least 50 years within the

distribution network.