Dvds

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could someone explain what the following term , used in the legal stuff on DVDs, means ......... "  no copying , public broadcast etc ...then .... no reverse engineering ????

Just something I'm not familiar with .

yes Deke,

but,

most copying software will do that automatically for you, what it basically means is,

even though you have paid your hard earned money for this, you are not allowed to copy it in case it gets damaged, you have to buy it again.

dont worry about it, the partP polis will get you long before the buccaneers do.  :D

No reverse engineering will refer to the CSS/AACS protection on movie disks. In some, but not all countries it's illegal to tamper with DRM protection so depending on your geographical location you could use one of the many available back-up programs that can ignore the protection.

yes Deke,

but,

most copying software will do that automatically for you, what it basically means is,

even though you have paid your hard earned money for this, you are not allowed to copy it in case it gets damaged, you have to buy it again.

dont worry about it, the partP polis will get you long before the buccaneers do.  :D
:^O

Thanks Ovram .

On the same subject , what is the point of the Region codes ?  I know we are Region 2  ...the US is Region 1   etc   but what does it achieve ?  Specially when you can buy an all region  player .

:^O

Thanks Ovram .

On the same subject , what is the point of the Region codes ?  I know we are Region 2  ...the US is Region 1   etc   but what does it achieve ?  Specially when you can buy an all region  player .
mmm,

thanks who?  :|

you arent supposed to be able to play a DVD that is for another region, it will normally say at the beginning something to the effect you are responsible for obeying the local laws etc etc etc.......

most DVDs are region 0 [i think] which makes them any region, but sometimes films are edited for certain areas, eg, topless shots are removed for the middle east etc,

mmm,

Ovram = Marvo

.....but sometimes films are edited for certain areas, eg, topless shots are removed for the middle east etc,
The region code on the DVD is more to allow the industry to charge what they want where they want. I think it was some half-hearted system to stop you going to Hong Kong or even Spain and buying perfectly legal DVD's at a fifth of the price or DVD's that haven't been released in your home location and taking them back home and being able to play them. As far as I know they don't chop out the titty scenes for the middle east, they just wouldn't distrbute that type of movie there.All these systems were introduced over the years by the big movie distributors to control their market and preserve an outdated but highly profitable business model. Most of these systems don't achieve jack anymore because tools are readily available to remove their crap but they still insist on playing a losing cat and mouse game by bringing out new DRM systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ovram = Marvo

The region code on the DVD is more to allow the industry to charge what they want where they want. I think it was some half-hearted system to stop you going to Hong Kong or even Spain and buying perfectly legal DVD's at a fifth of the price or DVD's that haven't been released in your home location and taking them back home and being able to play them. As far as I know they don't chop out the titty scenes for the middle east, they just wouldn't distrbute that type of movie there.

All these systems were introduced over the years by the big movie distributors to control their market and preserve an outdated but highly profitable business model. Most of these systems don't achieve jack anymore because tools are readily available to remove their crap but they still insist on playing a losing cat and mouse game by bringing out new DRM systems.

I got that,

he quoted me and thanked you,

I think we both deserve a scoob for his **** up there.!

ah, a surprise, its money driven, who'd'a'thunk it ?

mmm,

you arent supposed to be able to play a DVD that is for another region, it will normally say at the beginning something to the effect you are responsible for obeying the local laws etc etc etc.......

most DVDs are region 0 [i think] which makes them any region, but sometimes films are edited for certain areas, eg, topless shots are removed for the middle east etc,
Sorry Stepps ..must have got mixed up !! :coat

Deke, it means that you can't turn you dvd player upside down and then play the dvd backwards ;)
Ah that explains why they keep falling out ,,thanks SSS