Gas Hob Ignition

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonianorman

Reaction score
I have just replaced an existing electric cooker for a client. They have just called to say the gas hob ignition is not working. I haven't chnaged that, wiring was done like for like and tested. The only dufferent thing I have done is swapped the MCB from a 32A to a 20A as it was overated. The cooker is 2300 watts. They are plugged into a double fused socket. 13Aand 3A. I haven't been over to look at it yet vecause they have only just notified me. Can any of you think off hand what it might be?

I'm new to this I get the electrical side and will test with the merger but I lack the practical stuff that only comes with time. Just wondered if anyone has come up with something less obvious that I might not immediately noyice

Are you sure it actually worked before you touched it maybe they are pulling a fast one.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
You lowered rating of mcb, why ?

What was it wired in, was it 6mm², 2.5mm², has the twin socket replaced the old cooker outlet plate, is there a cooker switch with outlet on it ??

The cooker power is 2300w so 2300/230 is 10A. I have left it at 20A in case they need to add a hob in future. it was in 6mm. there is a double fused socket. seperate socket for hob ignition with a junction in the back behind the work surface. all i actually touched  was the junction box to take out the old and put in a new oven and the fuse board to put in a 20A MCB

so this is a built in oven and separate hob which is gas that are plugged into a 13 amp double socket. oven is 10 amp and 3 amp for hob ignition? 

The cooker power is 2300w so 2300/230 is 10A. I have left it at 20A in case they need to add a hob in future. it was in 6mm. there is a double fused socket. seperate socket for hob ignition with a junction in the back behind the work surface. all i actually touched  was the junction box to take out the old and put in a new oven and the fuse board to put in a 20A MCB
This 6.0mm² comes from where ??

Do you have a cooker switch above worktop now feeding outlets at back of oven.

I do agree the socket for the ignition has probably been knocked off when pushing oven in, but why fuse down ?