Any Suggestions As To "what"?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suburban garden, 50' long ish, NOT backing onto woods, heath or fields etc, just more houses / gardens. Anyway, removed a rotary clothes line leaving a hole. Something has taken a fancy to it and enlarged it, even starting to dig under the patio. I fill it in and by the next morning it's been re-excavated! Any ideas as to what it might be and how to deter it? I had a "prod" with the extended tape but it doesn't seem to go too far in........YET! Cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I`m not the `pache-ster - but missus and I are both thinking "hedgehog?

At 5", its too big for a rat ( unless its been reading James Herbert).

The hole looks wrong for a mole or similar.

Is there running water nearby? Could there be a kettle in your garden (water `otter :slap )

I wouldn`t want to kill it, until I knew what it was...........................

@paddler - I know the rats can be big - but a hole 5" across, FFS? Thats not a rat, its a alsatian pup.

James Herbert! Now you're talking. The Rats, Lair, Domain what a trilogy! The quizzical looks back in the day when a young lady would say ""Where did you learn that?" and I'd say "James Herbert!". :innocent  And that wannabe Guy n Smith too!

Well I don't want to be killing any hedgehogs if I put poison down. Thinking about the live trap?

I was having morning coffee upstairs this a.m. at 0530

and a vixen, bold as brass, comes down the road and

begins rooting in plant pots in my neighbour's garden.

Have to keep my camera handy for the next time; for

there will be a next time.

I've been sat on the patio with my then toddler daughter on my lap and a video camera. FIVE foxes on the lawn about 15' away rooting for scraps under the bird table all on film. Another TWO the other side of the fence. Going back a bit further in time and I walked outside one evening with my then baby son in arms. Could hear a snuffling sound and stopped again on the patio surrounded by peanuts thrown out for the birds. A BADGER was hoovering them up around my feet and luckily paid me no attention whatsoever! Weirdest thing is the dirty great bats we have, Greater Horseshoe I think. We stand on a raised bit of garden and the things come across the lawn at eye level......no sound at all. A couple of times we've collected dead bats in the past and sent them off to I think it was DEFRA? The big old dragonflies are impressive too - look about 6" long!

Then we have adders, grass snakes, slow worms............etc

Last edited by a moderator: