Admin

Forum Changes

Should we have a "Chat Room?"  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a "Chat Room?"

• Yes
    • No

Admin

What would you like to see changed or added to this forum, Ladies and Gentlemen?

Would you like a "Chat box"? Where you could all talk to each other in 'Real Time', like MSN Messenger?

It would only be available to registered users (To view and post) and that member would have set minimum of posts before he or she can use it.

If you would like to have one - please remember to come out of it and check the forum for posts and to Make posts. ;)

This is YOUR Forum, your input would be appreciated.

Regards,

Admin.

Apache

I'd like to be able to PM other members!

There is the danger that the forum might loose some of it's banter which does add to the enjoyment. mmmm

It's very easy to donate once but once you've got your trophy it's easy to forget. Are you still wanting donations or are you going down the advertising/sponsorship route?

Is there a facility for a small regular donation? Few pounds per month no-one would miss. Maybe give 'subscribers' additional benefits like PM's and Free auction listings?

Just a few thoughts off the top off me head

Admin
I'd like to be able to PM other members!

You already can, Mate. And I hae added "PM"buttons on every members' posts to make it easier too. :)

There is the danger that the forum might loose some of it's banter which does add to the enjoyment. mmmm

Agreed.

It's very easy to donate once but once you've got your trophy it's easy to forget. Are you still wanting donations or are you going down the advertising/sponsorship route?

All donations are appreciated, Patch.

Is there a facility for a small regular donation? Few pounds per month no-one would miss. Maybe give 'subscribers' additional benefits like PM's and Free auction listings?

You can donate via Paypal, by using the donate button at the top of the screen, Mate.

PM's and Free Auction listing, are free for all users anyway. :|

Just a few thoughts off the top off me head

Thanks Patch.

Apache

I meant IM not PM!

I have PM'ed you in the past!

You know what I mean

I would like to be able to Instant message other members ;)

The Godfather

Would you like a "Chat box"? Where you could all talk to each other in 'Real Time', like MSN Messenger?

Regards,

Admin.

A firm No.

The Godfather

Flying Scotsman

i vote yes :^O

Flying Scotsman

just to go against the godfather ;)

Badger
What would you like to see changed or added to this forum, Ladies and Gentlemen?

It would only be available to registered users (To view and post) and that member would have set minimum of posts before he or she can use it.

If you would like to have one - please remember to come out of it and check the forum for posts and to Make posts. ;)

This is YOUR Forum, your input would be appreciated.

Regards,

Admin.

i would say yes to a chat box style of thing for the forum, as that would allow real time talking and not having to wait around for replies until that person is online, as if they are there anyways they would know because the message would be delivered straight away.

Admin

Forgot to mention that this "Live Chat Room" would be on a dedicated page of it's own. :)

Apache
Forgot to mention that this "Live Chat Room" would be on a dedicated page of it's own. :)

would it be a 1 to 1 chat or a free-for-all where we could all join in at once?

Barx

My experience of chat scripts is they cause the site to crash. All I will say is be careful and approach with caution.

Badger

all joining in at once would be better

springcrocus

I tend to side with the Don on this one.

There would be a risk that members would spend more time chatting to each other, especially about non-electrical matters, and ignoring what should be the primary purpose of this site (or what I presume Admin was originally intending when he set it up) which is the exchange of information between electricians, trainees and other interested parties (like vets etc);).

This site is already a nice, friendly forum with plenty of banter between members and plenty of exchanges of ideas and opinions. However, the General Chat section seems to be gaining in popularity and a chat room would probably take over from this.

The greatest risk that I forsee is that members might form a clique and newer members would find it increasingly difficult to join in.

It's not quite the same, but look how a certain other forum deteriorated when members clubbed together.

I feel that a chat room would only increase the risk of the same thing happening to us. Please let's not lose sight of the purpose of this forum.

And finally, if I've got this all screwed up, I apologise to one and all Blushing

M107

Having experienced how the IM/live chat works on the Arsse (army romour service) forum I'd say no....It always decends into a slanging match or as Don says takes the place of posts on the forum, this is where some good knowledge is lost as some questions & answers are not saved for posterity.....if you know what i mean.

So I'm afraid I am with the Don on this one....sorry chaps & chapesses.

Admin

Yes, Gents (so far - No ladies) - The more I think of it - the more I agree with you and have gone off the idea. :|

Badger
:_|:_|:_|:_|:_|

jl-heating

a chat room does work and works well. i have set up and modded on many forums and found they do compliment a forum.

1 thing that does happen on a forum is as above a click forms and people tend to chat within a thread which again forms an even bigger click etc etc...

the best chat rooms generally use a java script within a page so is still hosted with the forum so no outside sites are req or pop ups are used.

just because its there does not mean you have to use it. but if needed a very powerful tool indeed.

i would say definitely a great addon to a up and growing forum.

The Godfather
Yes, Gents (so far - No ladies) - The more I think of it - the more I agree with you and have gone off the idea. :|

Admin my friend.

There are plenty of chat rooms (too many, and many abuse them).

We are a community forum, are we not?

Let's keep it that way.

I do know many members talk to each other here, and many have private email addresses as well as contact numbers.

Let's keep the forum together, in resolving issues we all want answered.

The Godfather

Flying Scotsman
Admin my friend.

Let's keep it that way.

I do know many members talk to each other here, and many have private email addresses as well as contact numbers.

The Godfather

here here :) i woulod have to say after thinking about this chat room stuff, that is sound advice, maybe its not worth ruining the forum over a chat room, admin

Apache
here here :) i woulod have to say after thinking about this chat room stuff, that is sound advice, maybe its not worth ruining the forum over a chat room, admin

My first thought was Admin was letting us instant message each other. So a 1 on 1 'chat' like MSN Messanger. I think that's quite a good idea. PM 'conversations' are rather frustrating. Talking in real time could be good for that?

Not keen on the idea of a chat-room. For the reasons the Don and others have pointed out

:D

Evans Electric

A chat room is probably not a good idea, human nature , it could become very cliquey and palsy wallsy (pallsy wallsy ? where did that come from ) I think it works as it is. The questions are posted for all to see and comment on and its noticable how quickly new members are welcomed aboard. Also if a simple or fundamental question is asked , they don't get the urine extracted.

Deke

The Godfather
A chat room is probably not a good idea, human nature , it could become very cliquey and palsy wallsy (pallsy wallsy ? where did that come from ) I think it works as it is. The questions are posted for all to see and comment on and its noticable how quickly new members are welcomed aboard. Also if a simple or fundamental question is asked , they don't get the urine extracted.

Deke

Nicely put, we are a forum and as such we share information, advice, opinions and much more.

A Chat room is something else, and would devalue the forums interest.

The Godfather

Evans Electric

I had to say that , there was a bloke with horses head under his arm ,standing across the road. gone now , Phwew !! ;)

The Godfather

The Don is amused.

The Godfather

SPECIAL LOCATION
Admin my friend.

Let's keep it that way.

The Godfather

Think this would sum up my opinions as well!;)Applaud SmileyGuiness Drink