Admin

Forum Changes

Should we have a "Chat Room?"  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a "Chat Room?"

• Yes
    • No

dougal

I do not like the idea of an instant messaging system as i think too much knowledge will be lost and I belive that it would be too easy for some members to spend a lot of time in the "chat room"

It could spell the end of this forum as the posts begin to dwindle

Admin

The idea of the chat room is that you could have had somewhere to "chat" while you were waiting for questons to comw in. :)

It is not intended to be there so that electrical questions could be asked on there.

If somone did, then that person must be told to post a thread relating to it.

But - If no-one wants one, then I won't do one. It's not a problem. :)

I will go with what you guys want. :x

Apache
The idea of the chat room is that you could have had somewhere to "chat" while you were waiting for questons to comw in. :)

It is not intended to be there so that electrical questions could be asked on there.

If somone did, then that person must be told to post a thread relating to it.

But - If no-one wants one, then I won't do one. It's not a problem. :)

I will go with what you guys want. :x

I'm not sure :D

Sometimes when I'm online and there's nothing happening here I go off elsewhere! A chat room might keep some of our attention? Could you give us notifiction when a new post was made in the forum?

I do like the idea of IMin other members

extension15
I'm not sure :D

Sometimes when I'm online and there's nothing happening here I go off elsewhere!

But there is more to life than being in a forum (so they tell me..:D))

:)

jl-heating

slowly the worms turn... a chat room is a good idea ......

go on say to ur self .. after me..... we want a chat room..... we want a chat room....we want a chat room .. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

even better a video chat room ..

does that mean i would have to stat dressing up to go on the forum ???

Apache

go on say to ur self .. after me..... we want a chat room..... we want a chat room....we want a chat room .. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not going in any kind of chat-room with anyone gyrating in leather pants!

:o

Evans Electric

OOOoooo ... I may have a problem with that one BlushingBlushing;);)

Admin

Right Guys (and Girls), I have added a somple 'Yes' or 'No' poll to the top of page one.

extension15
I'm not going in any kind of chat-room with anyone gyrating in leather pants!

:o

Which basically answers the question...

This is not a dating agency..

X(

jl-heating

free roll of 10mm cable to every one that votes yes.

Evans Electric
free roll of 10mm cable to every one that votes yes.

50mtr or 100 mtr drums ? DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH IT COSTS NOW ???

No do not be swayed by the black leather panted one , he is the Devil, the Anti Christ and worse.......... a PLUMBER!!! ]:)

kme

Right. My tuppence worth.........

I understand Apache`s comments r.e. I.M. However, I.M. is a pre-existing, stand alone service. Why waste time duplicating it? If Somewants wants my IM address, they can have it. But a communal chat room? I tend to think not. GF and others have summed up the reasons against pretty well, and very little in the way of positive reasoning has been given.

Admin - If we can get automated notification of a new post, or someone on our "buddy list" having logged in, that could be nice:), and more useful to those of us who actually work at the computer, instead of being in the forum till the wee hours.

And - as an Aside: Has Steptoe kidnapped Theo???

SPECIAL LOCATION
Right. My tuppence worth.........

I understand Apache`s comments r.e. I.M. However, I.M. is a pre-existing, stand alone service. Why waste time duplicating it? If Somewants wants my IM address, they can have it. But a communal chat room? I tend to think not. GF and others have summed up the reasons against pretty well, and very little in the way of positive reasoning has been given.

Admin - If we can get automated notification of a new post, or someone on our "buddy list" having logged in, that could be nice:), and more useful to those of us who actually work at the computer, instead of being in the forum till the wee hours.

And - as an Aside: Has Steptoe kidnapped Theo???

Steptoe & Theory???????

romantic Holiday for two??]:):D:o;)

Who let you have buddies??

Apache
Steptoe & Theory???????

romantic Holiday for two??]:):D:o;)

Who let you have buddies??

Theory's logged in today! Maybe he as the forum equivalant of laryngitis - broken finger or no keyboard ;)

Steps last log in 15th December! :(

Admin

I E-mailed, not long ago, and have received no reply. :(

I hope he alright. :|

Guest Dane

go for it :) would be a good idea i think, live chatting.. banter etc. and live advice for any one needing it

Andy™

i think we should just stick to the forums. at least others can see whats been said and can join in at a different time. or even resurrect an 8 month old thread, DL-EAS!

boltonsparky

Thanks for resurecting!!!

Found the forum not so long ago and think it's brilliant. A great place for sparks and non-sparks to pick up usefull information, discuss and have a moan an winge about the electrical industry.

Like the joke page.

Keep up the good work guys :)

green-hornet

Chat rooms get very messy and almost every time are cliche,

I am admin on a few gaming sites and we use Mirc so we can have discussions with as many people who are present.

Forums are not really like that, unless the question is urgent, then I can see a positive reason for a real time chat room.

Then there is the problem of controlling content with more administators and moderaters required, just to run the thing.

My opinion is that as it stands the forum runs very well under the present system.

To include a chat room would increase the workload of admin, and would require more moderaters.

Another downfall is that some questions will be asked, and answers given, that will not help anyone but the original questioner, in the forums we have a solid wriiten post that we can refer back to, chat rooms are very much now, and have no records for later reference, other than the users reference for whilst they are connected.

I would leave things as they are.

Chat rooms fill me with dread. :^O

Apache

I may have voted 'yes' when this thread first arrived but I would vote 'no' now