Starting Off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptaz

Reaction score
Hi All

I've just passed my part P, doing the 17th Edition at the weekend and then 2392.  What I would like to know is what tools and jobs (how big and what jobs to show to the self certification body) do I need for get through the self certification scheme.  Also which body would be best to join.  Mind you I am not a full time spark as I have a day job already.

thanks for your guidance.

I have a day job already.
i suggest you stick to it

after your very limited training, you wont be anywhere near competent to carry out work on your own. and when you do get it wrong, it will be some innocent person (who employed you based on you being 'competent') who gets killed through your lack of knowledge / experience

Last edited by a moderator:
So you can do the 17th edition "at the weekend"

WTF did I bother with a 4 year apprenticeship for then?
thats where you went wrong and cut corners,

a 'proper' apprenticeship is 5years, like wot I did,

I was lucky, the judge did say I got a lighter sentence due to being a bit of a pretty-boy,  :|

Ive been doing this carp for 7 years,,, testing all day cant find a fault on a lighting cct ffs

whats the day job ???  I fancy swapping 

Hi All

I've just passed my part P, doing the 17th Edition at the weekend and then 2392.  What I would like to know is what tools and jobs (how big and what jobs to show to the self certification body) do I need for get through the self certification scheme.  Also which body would be best to join.  Mind you I am not a full time spark as I have a day job already.

thanks for your guidance.

I went into H.Samuel jewelers the other day and asked what do I need to open a bank account??

They said probably best to select a bank that interests you and go and ask there....

Same principal applies here...

1/ Select the contractor scheme you are interested in

2/ Then go to their website..  or phone them up and ask..

what qualifications?

how much annual fee?

what sort of assessment jobs?

what books and documentations?

what insurance?

what types of calibrated test equipment?

etc..

etc..

are needed to enroll with your scheme..

I am sure they will tell you..

I am certainly not going to do your research for you...

Tools????

Spade fork and pick if you intend burying loads of cables...

Big ladders if you want to do loads of overhead spans..

Good vacuum cleaner and dust sheets if you intend doing domestics...

Loads of hard hats & PPE if you intend doing site work...

etc..

etc...

other than thank I am just guessing??????

:coat

Last edited by a moderator:
4 years, 5 years, 7 years.

A proper spark does 20 years training, never uses power tools, does everything the hardest way possible, naked while getting a beating with a stick from the big boys.

only then can you call yourself an electrician.

:slap

Thanks all for your constructive feedback. 

I appreciate I don't have the experience as someone who has been doing a job for years but someone has to start somewhere and at no point was I going to start a job that I did not feel I can do and was not competent in doing.  Experiences come from the amount of work that you do and the challenges that you overcome.  Its a never ending learning environment.

I have done my research and have tools/governing bodies in mind but wanted to get other peoples though on what was better as you "the experienced" individuals will have wealth of knowledge to pass on.

I thought the idea of forums was to share the knowledge and experience that others have and guide people in the right direction??

Thanks all for your constructive feedback. 

I appreciate I don't have the experience as someone who has been doing a job for years but someone has to start somewhere and at no point was I going to start a job that I did not feel I can do and was not competent in doing.  Experiences come from the amount of work that you do and the challenges that you overcome.  Its a never ending learning environment.

I have done my research and have tools/governing bodies in mind but wanted to get other peoples though on what was better as you "the experienced" individuals will have wealth of knowledge to pass on.

I thought the idea of forums was to share the knowledge and experience that others have and guide people in the right direction??

What makes you think that you haven't been given good feedback....

Experienced people are sharing their experience and knowledge..

the simple fact is...

Short course providers are not generally interested in training competent electricians...

They are there to make money by getting people to pass exam's (often multi choice)..

It is more common for people to come though these courses knowing very little

and unable to genuinely make sensible design installation and testing decision out in the real word...

A lot of us see the results of typical "short course" training on a regular basis... and have to do remedial works to put it right!

and the forum is full to the brim of questions from people unable to make basic decisions that should have been covered on their training...

In some cases it is better to tell the truth rather than pretend someone knows what they are doing and try to talk them though things that are way above their head!!

Or the right direction is to go back a few steps and get better training or stop trying to do work outside of your abilities

And it is no good pretending that someone is competent when they are not..

The "qualifications" you have got would probably not be recognized as of sufficient competence for someone to employ you.

Which then begs the question...  If a person is not competent enough to be employed...

probably they are not competent enough to be self employed either!!!

Sorry but these are facts...

and yest it is exactly what forum is for..

older more experienced people sharing their wisdom with less experienced..

(if doesn't always mean the answers are the ones you hope for..)

:coffee   

how can anyone looking to go into any trade not know what tools they need????????

:coat

Thanks for that.  I agree with you.  There is no replacement for experience and I had not realised that there was such a big thing on short courses.

Advice - go to your local collage and enroll on the C & G course! Whatever number it is this week. Couple if evenings a week, learn the basic principals of our trade, get an understanding of how and why invisible stuff can kill and how it works.

As to how you gain practical work experience is another matter, I have never has this problem as began apprenticeship at 16 from school

And have been employed since.

Unfortunately as has been said the qualifications you are going to gain are not enough for you to be employed as an electrician so I can't see

Why you should be able to trade as one in a self employed fashion.

Don't be dis heartened, just do it right.

Yes I totally understand that..anyone can do an exam and pass.  Having the right training and experience takes you further.  But you do need to start somewhere.  I am doing the proper courses with qualifications but i presume what people are saying that don't do short course do courses that last a year so gain the practical experience.

Yes I totally understand that..anyone can do an exam and pass.  Having the right training and experience takes you further.  But you do need to start somewhere.  I am doing the proper courses with qualifications but i presume what people are saying that don't do short course do courses that last a year so gain the practical experience.

no, you are not doing the 'proper' courses

back when part p came out, many people (older sparks) had plenty knowledge / experience, but no formal qualifications. these courses were originally more designed for them to get the qualifications. then everyone else jumped on the bangwagon and they were then for anyone. and like yourself, probably told once 'qualified' you would get a job anywhere. truth is, as said, you may be 'qualified', but not with the correct course / training, and as a result, not many would even consider you for a job as an electrician.

maybe a bit better research before starting the course would have been a better option. but then your probably with all the others who done it that way and think your right and everyone else is wrong.

I thought the new part-p nvq level 3 was 200 hours learning time. Which is not a short course.

If Ptaz only has the old domestic installer (part-p) course I don't think he can enrol for QS as NVQ level 3 is now required