Help Me Set Up Email With A New Bt Home Hub And Bt Internet

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I've changed broadband supplier to BT

I have the new home hub set up. Internet is working and I can receive email (from non BT email accounts)

But I can't SEND emails and can't receive emails from [email protected]

It's all down to email client settings.

I have set the outgoing server to be mail.btinternet.com

I have set the outgoing server user name to [email protected]

Now when it comes to password for the outgoing server, what do I use?

If have tried the long password that's entered into the router (I haven't changed it so it's a long string of numbers and letters)and also tried the password that I set up to access my account on bt.com/mybt

Sometimes I get : 530 Access denied Other times it fails on -ERR [AUTH] Incorrect username or password.

I don't have the will to try talking to some moron in a call centre, so I thought I would ask first here to see if the collective forum wisdom can solve what should be a simple issue.

Password for outgoing server is the password for your email address.
Which is?

The ONLY passwords I have at the moment are the long one that's stored in the router, and the one I set up to access mybt.

So where do I find or set up the password for my default @btinternet.com email address

Okay, I'm making some progress.

I logged on to mybt, and went through the "reset password" routine for my default @btinternet.com email address.

I now have a password for that email account that I know (god know what it was by default, nobody told me)

So now I can send and receive from that @btinternet account and receive only from all my other email accounts.

But I now have a different problem sending emails from any of my other accounts.

I have several email accounts for the various businesses we run, based upon the domain names for those businesses.

now, if I try and send from one of those I get: "553 From address not verified - see http://www.btyahoo.com/verify"

So it looks like if you are not sending from a btinternet email address I have to go through some convoluted process to verify each email address I want to use.

to save me the pain of that, does anyone know a PUBLIC email server I can use, i.e one not tied to an ISP. Apart from anything else I wouldn't have to go through this pain whenever I change ISP if I was not reliant on my ISP's mail servers

no I REFUSE to talk to a call centre.

BT list a procedure to add accounts to be "let through" their outgoing server, but their procedure fails as when I log on, my web mail page appears different to the example they list, and the "account options" button is not there on my screen : headbang

Anyway a bit of googling found a solution. Create a Gmail.com emal address (that I don't intend to use) then you can use the Gmail.com server.  Here's the instructions 

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/tonyhughes/599

I've set up and tested 2 of my accounts and it works. Only another 6 to set up (perhaps I don't need so many email addresses?)

Why does all this have to be so difficult?

How do others manage?

I can see now why some people, whenever they change ISP they change their email address to one supplied by the new ISP because otherwise it's all too difficult.

So now I'm using a gmail outgoing server, and various incoming servers from previous isp's

Last edited by a moderator:
no just to clarify, all the email addresses I use are based on domain names that I own for our businesses.

The incoming mail gets diverted and parked in various ISP's mailboxes and that's where they are collected from.

I'm NOT using the gmail address at all.  It's just a work around I found to be able to use the gmail outgoing server for ALL email regardless of your ISP.

Now whether that creates any issues is something I have to wait and see, but it's a work around the BT problem, until I find a different or better solution.

So what's the alternative?

I could look into using the domain name host's outgoing server instead?

EDIT:

The Gmail option is NO GOOD.  It doesn't just bury the gmail address somewhere in the header, it puts the gmail address as the return address.

I've just tried using the outgoing mail server of the domain name host, and that seems to work without messing up the headers. Do hopefully that's the solution.

Dave when you set up each email account with BT, you have to give each a password. You then enter each password on each outgoing server for each account.

So you have an email [email protected] with password pro1 enter this on both the in and out servers for that account then second account [email protected] with password pro2. Use this password on both in and out for this account and so on.

Canoeboy said:
:slap

If you have registered domains - why cant you use the web server for the emails at the said domain ?
That's what I've just changed it to and it's now working.

I don't know why I didn't do that before, but this setup I have has evolved over the years as I have added different domain names so it's all a bit of a mess really.

Dave when you set up each email account with BT, you have to give each a password. You then enter each password on each outgoing server for each account.

So you have an email [email protected] with password pro1 enter this on both the in and out servers for that account then second account [email protected] with password pro2. Use this password on both in and out for this account and so on.
You are missing the point. I don't want to use @btinternet email addresses. I want to use addresses based on my domain names which are blocked by the bt email server unless you go and individualy unblock each one.

but when I tried that following their instructions, the edit account button is not there on the web mail screen I see, so I gave up.

Dave, You can phone BT and give them the addresses you want allowed, and they will add them to your account so they work, I had to do this for my business email address.

In fact log into your account MyBT or whatever it is and there is a link to add additional addresses so they are allowed through.

Well it's all sorted now so on the basis of "it ain't broke" I'm not going to "fix it" any more.

I did try adding my extra email addresses, but got nowhere. They post instructions how to do this, but the view I get on my browser is different to what they say you should see, and the button to access the required features was not there.  I even tried a different browser in case it was abrowser issue but it was exactly the same.

Why does it all have to be so complicated?

The advantage of using my domain name's host's mail server for my outgoing mail should be that next time I change ISP (in 18 months?) I shouldn't have to go through all this again.

TBH I don't really understand why you're having an issue with this regardless.... unless you installed BTs bloatware that is.... whenever I've changed ISP I don't change anything on any of my devices bar the router login details; in fact I'm with sky and haven't set up an email account with them yet ;) after nearly 2 years!

Well here's a potted summary of the "trouble" I had.

Pugging in the router and getting the internet working was easy. It just worked.

But I could no longer send emails. Previously I used the last ISP's outgoing mail server but that no longer worked. So I needed to set it up for the new ISP, BT.

You have to set it up using your default @btinternet.com email account. I chose that email address when making the order over the phone. but NOBODY told me the password. And the password proved not to be the routers password, nor the password I had set up to log into mybt.

So I had to go through the "I've forgotten my password" routine to get a password for that email address (that I never intend to use anyway)

Then I found the BT mail server would only send @btinternet.com email accounts unless you go and individually unblock each one you wish to send from.

So I tried to do that following their instructions, only to find the button I needed to access account settings (shown on a nice picture in their instructions) was not there on my screen. I even tried two browsers to make sure that was not the issue.

I couldn't bear the thought of calling a call centre to fix the issue.

So I solved it by using a different mail server unrelated to the ISP.

You couldn't make it up. This would make a good comedy sketch in the right hands.

Why does it have to be so difficult? How do "normal" non PC literate folk manage?  I know, they never use a proper email client, they just use web mail and don't have this problem perhaps?

I seem to recall I have had difficulty every time I have changed ISP, which is why I don't change very often, but BT just made me too good an offer this time.

Dave, you should have received two letters from them, one with you ISP login and another with your email password.

Don't send both in same letter for obvious reasons.