Help Re: 2330 Level 3 Fault Finding Practical Exam

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanbox1988

Reaction score
Good afternoon all.

I have just joined this forum & i have a question for all persons who are familiar with the exam mentioned above.

I am coming to the end of a 4 year apprenticeship and this is the very last exam I have to complete (Wreeeey).

From what I have been told it is exactly the same as the previous Inspection & Testing practical, with faults added once the initial dead testing is complete. I am also fully aware that all faults are found on the dead side of testing (having powered up & noticed something was wrong beforehand).

I was just wondering if they're are any key areas i should look into before the exam, that I may be questioned on?

i.e. SON lamps, 3-phase motors/contactors, water heaters, etc?

Any help would be great.

Regards,

Jordan

So...what you have done is inspect and test the installation dead

with no faults?

Then you carry out inspect & test again with faults on the board?

So...all you do is repeat the tests in the right order, faults will be

clear, you have to decide if they would cause a breach of the

criteria in chapter 4 on disconnection times.  Identifying the fault

will mean doing things like half split and other procedures to

identify a faulty conductor within that circuit.  Play close attention

to the circuit breaker size and type as fitted.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Apparently there are 16 faults in total (including visual faults).

I have also just been told that the only circuits that will include faults are the lighting circuit (SON, Halogen & Fluorescent), the three phase motor & the tankless water heater.

Jordan

p.s. Having the Regs & the Onsite Guide to hand is always a bonus

I did this a couple of years ago and from what I remember the faults were switched into the circuit, we were told which circuit had the fault and they were all found through continuity testing i.e. dropped neutral or loose connection in rose/jb etc.  We certainly didn't have to do all the tests again, we'd done that in the previous exam, just continuity on each conductor in the circuit

they changed the testing since i did it, but one thing i was told to look out for that i did find was on a visual inspection of the cartridge fuses in a glasgow box one was the wrong rating which i wouldnt of noticed if someone hadnt of told me.

Canoeboy said:
MEM Glasgow Switch Fuse - Old Money (Now Eaton)

attachicon.gif
glasgow.jpg
I've got a brand new F old stock one , single phase 100a going on eBay soon if anybody wants to make an offer.........switch is new box looks like it has gone 10 rounds with Stuart Hall

just did this myself yesterday, they didn't tell us what circuit they were going to be on, they just induced them at seemingly random ( none of us got the same faults) and we were expected to find them with no prior knowledge, just using our eyes and test equipment.

Just like the real world :)