Meter Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misssweden

DNO Official™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I call the "electricity cupboard" where I work. I find it rather overwhelming to be honest :)

(To me it looks messy, and I can see an unterminated end of a cable right down the bottom which I'm not sure what it's connected to - if anything. What can your more experienced eyes see?).

From what I can work out it's a 3-phase supply connected to a main meter and then each phase has it's own meter. Is that right? And if that is correct, then why would you measure each phase?

From what I've been taught at college ideally all 3 phases should be fairly well balanced loads. So would you have a meter om each phase to see how much they use?

Explanation from more experienced forumites would be great cheers :)

image.jpg

This is what I call the "electricity cupboard" where I work. I find it rather overwhelming to be honest :)

(To me it looks messy, and I can see an unterminated end of a cable right down the bottom which I'm not sure what it's connected to - if anything. What can your more experienced eyes see?).

From what I can work out it's a 3-phase supply connected to a main meter and then each phase has it's own meter. Is that right? And if that is correct, then why would you measure each phase?

From what I've been taught at college ideally all 3 phases should be fairly well balanced loads. So would you have a meter om each phase to see how much they use?

Explanation from more experienced forumites would be great cheers :)
thats bit of a mess...

it does look like TP meter feeding into individual SP meters. not sure why. yes, each phase should be balanced as much as possible, but that doesnt mean you need to add additional meters. im guessing that they may have been original, then a TP meter ws added and the SP meters left in place?

thats bit of a mess...

it does look like TP meter feeding into individual SP meters. not sure why. yes, each phase should be balanced as much as possible, but that doesnt mean you need to add additional meters. im guessing that they may have been original, then a TP meter ws added and the SP meters left in place?
Sounds like a reasonable explanation. Cheers Andy :)