Hot Tub (Needs 32Amp Connection)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrics_new

Reaction score
HI everyone,

I went to a customers house yesterday and they have got a new hot tub ready to be installed.  But no suitable electric point for it.

The hot tub needs a 32AMP connection which is on an RCD.

However, customer has an old board with no RCD and doens't want to upgrade the board.

I therefore, propose the following:

The current DB has a spare way - utiise this an install a RCBO run 4mm cable to a 32AMP socket (whcih can also be IP rated).

Anyone got any better ideas or advise ?

Thanks in advance

HI everyone,

I went to a customers house yesterday and they have got a new hot tub ready to be installed.  But no suitable electric point for it.

The hot tub needs a 32AMP connection which is on an RCD.

However, customer has an old board with no RCD and doens't want to upgrade the board.

I therefore, propose the following:

The current DB has a spare way - utiise this an install a RCBO run 4mm cable to a 32AMP socket (whcih can also be IP rated).

Anyone got any better ideas or advise ?

Thanks in advance

Yes do some design.  4mm may be okay depending on installation method and length, but you may need larger.

What is the actual current drawn by the hot tub? or have you just read some meaningless statement in the instructions saying it "needs a 32A supply"

I just have and i'll would look at going with 6mm cable as I can use any reference method and cable would still be rated to above 32AMP.  With the 4mm cable reference methods A and B can potentially reduce the cable to below 32amp.

Thanks for the advice.

The instructions are limited so I have a call booked with the manufactures technical rep and I'll get the load info from him/her.

Oooh how strange I went & looked at the same sort of job friday night (not in Leeds), had a call yesterday apparently my quote was a little steep.

Due to the distance down the garden I calc'd for 6mm terminating to a commando outlet, then SY (under decking that is yet to be put in) to a rotary isolator on the side of the tub, from there to the power terminals in the control unit under the tub.

Forgot to say that included splitting the tails adding a small SBS cu with compact rcbo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch! I don't think the OP stated it was a job in Leeds! Talking about giving the low down on how to do the job to the enemy!!!!

Just observing!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, whatever you do it'll need its own dedicated circuit. So if you split the tails and fit a small RCD CU or if you install an RCBO in the existing CU,,, it makes no odds..

However you must still ensure that the Earthing conductor and Equipotential bonding are to regs

As for cable size,, you haven't said what the length of the circuit is, if there are any external influences or what the installation method is.....

Because I have some :C

But there are other cables that could be used     ;)