Advice On Upgrading My Aerial Cable And Amplifier/booster

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkymalarkey

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm going to be installing a new aerial point in my front room, and that's got me onto thinking about and reviewing the current set up (which we inherited when we bought the house).

The set up is:

- Roof aerial
- Feeds Wolsey WFAV 425 4-way amp/booster (in loft)
- Wolsey WPS100/1 power supplier (also in loft, connected to the amp with a small run of cable).
- White unmarked cable feeds the current aerial point in front room
- Other cables feed other points around the house but we do not use any of these....

The thoughts whirring around my head at the mo are:

- Would we be better of buying a new amp/booster seeing as we only need the one feed? Is the four way reducing quality? I remember reading once that you can buy 75ohm terminators (or something) for the unused outputs???

- I'm going to use Webro WF100 cable from the amp to the new aerial socket. Can I also use this from the socket to the TV? And can I use it for the amp/booster to the power supply?

- Should I try to replace the cable running from the aerial itself to the amp/booster with WF100? I don't have a ladder tall enough so would need to pay an installer to do this.... So only want to do that if it would be worth it....

- Any recommendations on a decent quality socket for the front room, and decent make of connectors?

Many thanks in advance for any help

Max

What you have is known as a "distribution amplifier"

It's purpose is not to boost a weak signal, but to amplify it enough so it can feed several sets with the same level of signal you would get from the aerial feeding directly to one set.

I would leave it there, and connect one of the presently unused outputs to the new tv in the new room.

I don't bother with "tv" coax any more, I always use "satellite" coax such as WF 100, RG6 etc, much better quality than old tv coax and not particularly expensive,

Pretty much all of the tv wall plate outlets are rubbish, so not a lot to choose between them. Just get one that matches your sockets and light switches.

As for connectors, the cheap "contractor" all metal aerial plugs and sockets are the best. Avoid aerial plugs and sockets that use plastic bits.

Your "aerial" - the key element in all this. What is it? Is it a generic, wideband type thing from say Maplin or one of the DIY sheds or is one considered / selected as best suitable for your transmitter? Can make a huge difference. A very good place to start is here:

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/

TBH the ONLY place I go.

If your aerial is wrong then an amp can simply be boosting the interference that comes with a rubbish signal.

A similar thread on here a few months ago that might be of interest:

http://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/topic/22772-aerial-question/

Last edited by a moderator:
AS MR OffOnOffOnOff (or something like that) says....

Double check your recommended aerial before adding or altering anything else....

As I linked on the thread OnOff links to..

this site gives a good recommendation for your postcode area..

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe

ALSO..

don't forget to check your aerial is actually pointing in the right direction!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what the aerial is tbh and my ladder does not get me too close to it.  I'll zoom in with the camera tomorrow and post some pics to see if anyone can tell what it is....

Yes, I tried the website but found it a little tough to decipher the results!

Thanks guys

Well, start here:

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/nationwidetransmitters.html#WhichTransmitterAmIOn

In laymans terms you might know where your TV signal comes from. If not then fairly simple rule of thumb is LOOK at which way the majority of the local aerials are pointing and make sure yours is too! You can "tweak it thereafter. I use this "signal finder" to get a rough idea:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MX27866R.html

Getting less easy to do as people ditch their aerials (or they fall off) in favour of dishes. Aerials tend to just sit there for years being used as a perch by every local fat pigeon and they do go out of alignment. Add to that badly made connections and as mentioned, old co-ax cable and there are things that can be done to improve. Once you know the transmitter you can find the "band" it's on. Really this level of delving is ONLY if you're in fringe / very weak signal areas (like me in the depths of a valley too). If you're that close to a transmitter then probably even the WRONG aerial might do. You often get Joe Public sold a "Triple Boom" or "Log Perodic" when a simple Yagi would do. A picture of yours might be of limited help - in the old days they had a coloured plastic cap on the end that denoted what band it was for - good luck zooming in THAT close!

Tell us your rough postcode and we'll have a look!

Or if you don't fancy climbing on the roof don't bother and get Freesat!

Have you actually TRIED connecting the new tv to the amplifier?

In the original post you didn't mention changing the aerial or a poor signal, but now you are talking about reception issues. 

What bit did I miss?

Have you actually TRIED connecting the new tv to the amplifier?

In the original post you didn't mention changing the aerial or a poor signal, but now you are talking about reception issues. 

What bit did I miss?
No, I'm going to try the direct connection this morning....

I don't think I have mentioned reception issues or poor signal.  And the only reason I'm talking about the aerial is because a couple of the guys asked what I have and told me to check I have the correct sort. 

So I don't think you've missed anything.  

Thanks for all the help guys.