What Qualifications Do I Need To Be A Qualified Electrician?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max6979

Reaction score
I have just successfully completed level 2 City and Guilds 2365 this year at a local college - a one year course.The college  told me that I will need Level 3 City and Guilds 2365 which is another 2 years part time. When I was telling a spark about this he told me he had done a 5 day course and had got his registration with Elecsa no problem.( He was laughing at this point )....My questions are a) will level 3 City and Guilds 2365 satisfy the likes of napit, niceic , elecsa ? b) If I dont get big contracts or work involving new circuits , work in bath rooms or kitchens i assume I do not need part P registration c) On my course they emphasised the need to always verify and test new circuits and leave either a minor works cert or another cert detailing the cpc continuty test results, insulation resistance etc but I have never seen any spark leave paper work - is the college telling my fairy tales or is it routine normal practice for sparks to leave a cert after finishing a job?

Just a bit confused at present as I am getting the impression that alot of sparks dont spend 3 or more years at a college and this fact isnt stopping them trading.

The problem is going to college will not make you an electrician you will need practical experience to be one. I am afraid the trade is falling to pieces with people going on courses passing them and they then go out claiming to be competent which unfortunately they are not. As for the part p brigade as long as you pay them they will probably let you join. Sorry to be so blunt and welcome to the forum generally any electrical work should be certified A to protect you if anything goes wrong in future and B so it complies with BS 7671.

Last edited by a moderator:
1/ Welcome to the forum..

2/ I DO hope your college has been getting you reading and learning BS7671 and not just wiring a few simple circuits up???

Because the answer to your question about issuing certificates for work done is in black and white...

If you go and read regulation 134.2.... and chapter 63...

This was also in the old red book..

and before they they changed the regs numbers around it was chapter 74 in the book before that...

and also chapter 74 thew one before that...  etc...

I think you get the gist???

It is NOT hard to work out what paperwork you are expected to issue if you are working to BS7671...

ANY PERSON WHO DOES NOT ISSUE APPROPRIATE CERTIFICATION FOR THEIR WORK IS EITHER..

(a) DIY working in their own home or (b) a COWBOY if charging people for their work!

simples!

All competent electricians will issue appropriate certification AND carry suitable insurance..

Because for one thing...

should the smelly stuff hit the fan they will be wanting to prove that the installation was safe when they left it!!!!

If you have never seen any leave paperwork them IMHO you have never seen a proper electrician!

the qualifications you require for each scheme can be found either on their web pages OR by giving them a phone call!

Hope that helps..

If you are NOT intending to add new circuits..

You may as well get a job stacking shelves in Tescos...

Not much point trying to learn how to be an electrician?

Guinness

p.s.

Congratulations on passing your level2!!!

Guinness

I have just successfully completed level 2 City and Guilds 2365 this year at a local college - a one year course.The college  told me that I will need Level 3 City and Guilds 2365 which is another 2 years part time. When I was telling a spark about this he told me he had done a 5 day course and had got his registration with Elecsa no problem.( He was laughing at this point )....My questions are a) will level 3 City and Guilds 2365 satisfy the likes of napit, niceic , elecsa ? b) If I dont get big contracts or work involving new circuits , work in bath rooms or kitchens i assume I do not need part P registration c) On my course they emphasised the need to always verify and test new circuits and leave either a minor works cert or another cert detailing the cpc continuty test results, insulation resistance etc but I have never seen any spark leave paper work - is the college telling my fairy tales or is it routine normal practice for sparks to leave a cert after finishing a job?

Just a bit confused at present as I am getting the impression that alot of sparks dont spend 3 or more years at a college and this fact isnt stopping them trading.
:pmsl:

no you werent telling a spark about that,

he wasnt a spark,

he was a numpty 5 week wonder,!

anyone can do what he did, and shell out a bucket load of money to pass an exam, and then more to join a scam,

will NEVER make you a spark,

as someone said, having experience in the real world will make you a spark.

can I ask what your background is?

Latest posts