Downloading Films Advice .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any decent FREE sites that can be used to download films or TV you can recommend ?   Or is there a fee to pay with all of them ?   Don't mind paying a reasonable fee.

I bought myself a memory stick thingy from Maplins after talking to my cousin who lives on a Greek island and watches TV from these things .

I had a couple of names but found they were not free.  

Stepps's Youtube downloader is excellent.  

Thanks   

Deke

Last edited by a moderator:
Elephanttube's not bad or my mate prefers ex hamster lol :) is that what you were looking for Sandra :slap

If you are going to use them torrent sites Sandra make sure your virus protection is upto date and as them sites are full of viruses if you don't know what your doing. Be careful :)

I know a guy uses 'the pirate bay' TPB very successfully, ;)

Although as its banned from a lot of ISPs you may need a proxy, so may be a bit complicated for you Deke,

Still might be worth a try.

I know a guy uses 'the pirate bay' TPB very successfully, ;)

Although as its banned from a lot of ISPs you may need a proxy, so may be a bit complicated for you Deke,

Still might be worth a try.
Maybe just try their ipaddress 194.71.107.80. or give spotflux a whirl, it's free. I believe there's a massive censorship drive in the UK at the moment, there's dozens of sites that ISP's are being forced to block and the list is growing by the day. Many of TPB proxies are not available any more from UK ISP's.

Isohunt suffered technical difficulties yesterday. They've got a database issue and a linux instability, eta 24hrs to being back online. 

Maybe just try their ipaddress 194.71.107.80. or give spotflux a whirl, it's free. I believe there's a massive censorship drive in the UK at the moment, there's dozens of sites that ISP's are being forced to block and the list is growing by the day. Many of TPB proxies are not available any more from UK ISP's.

Isohunt suffered technical difficulties yesterday. They've got a database issue and a linux instability, eta 24hrs to being back online. 
correctomundo,

thats why I use a proxy mostly,

and, TPB is also available via proxy servers if you look hard enough,  ;)

I'm sure proxies will always be available but it's an eternal cat and mouse game where they get taken down and new ones open up. Problem is you'll probably need to find a new proxy more and more regularly as they step up the censorship and it becomes easier for the MAFIAA et al to just add new sites to the list they require blocking. A VPN might be a better option in the long run or make use of onion routing. The TOR network doesn't support streaming or bittorrent protocol traffic but it would be useful for HTTP protocol applications such as browsing TPB or Isohunt. 

I'm sure proxies will always be available but it's an eternal cat and mouse game where they get taken down and new ones open up. Problem is you'll probably need to find a new proxy more and more regularly as they step up the censorship and it becomes easier for the MAFIAA et al to just add new sites to the list they require blocking. A VPN might be a better option in the long run or make use of onion routing. The TOR network doesn't support streaming or bittorrent protocol traffic but it would be useful for HTTP protocol applications such as browsing TPB or Isohunt. 
are you sure?

I have one pc running on TOR permanently and it TPBs just fine,

but, I dont know how slow it is, its primary function is actually quite different, its a similar function, just slightly different.

are you sure?

I have one pc running on TOR permanently and it TPBs just fine,

but, I dont know how slow it is, its primary function is actually quite different, its a similar function, just slightly different.
No, I confess I lied, but the nice people running TOR specifically request that bittorrent and streaming media traffic isn't run through their system because it causes congestion and latency issues so generally I do them a favour and say it doesn't support it.

No, I confess I lied, but the nice people running TOR specifically request that bittorrent and streaming media traffic isn't run through their system because it causes congestion and latency issues so generally I do them a favour and say it doesn't support it.
ah, OK,

I understand,

I suppose my old PC running it probably doesnt cause issues as its quite slow to start with,

and torrents are choked on it so as not not draw attention,

plus, its primary function is to PEN wi-fi trying to get into mine anyway, [even though its well hidden] ,

it does take about a week for a film though, so I suppose its not practical.

Erm.................a "friend of mine" uses www.bolt.cd, Canadian site I believe. Access to all sorts on there. Without signing up (free) you're limited to eBooks etc. If you sign up (free) then you see links for films, music, tv shows etc. My "friend" used to the PAY I think about GBP10 per 3 months to Rapidshare.com but one day that just stopped.

So...........what he does now is gets the links from bolt.cd and then goes to say Netload, UL, Rapidgator or Zippy Share and use the FREE but SLOW downloads. Fine for the odd album or TV episode and even odd film.

Direct downloading is a good option if you're in the UK and not running a private proxy or VPN. If you don't pay for premium accounts it will be slow but should be usable if you go for lower filesized, MP4 or MKV containered, psudo 720p type movies. You'll need to plough your way through all the dead links on the indexing sites with the fall of the big file lockers like Megaupload etc but at least it's private and you won't get ip harvested in a bittorrent swarm.

Waaay back in the day you used to get letters from paramount, fox etc saying pwease  don't download any more of our movies. I got a few :innocent

There wasn't much they could do back then, they were still hawking DVD's. Then they clocked on and started suing 12 year old girls and making them bankrupt for life or sending them to the chair!

They finally twigged that if you make it just as easy to buy something as "steal it" (This does not apply to self service checkouts) then people would rather buy their products.

:)

piracy2.jpg

pirate-bay-logo-black.jpg

Canoeboy said:
I think you have to also remember (may be wrong here) that unless you are using a proxy ip then you can be caught by your ISP for downloading illegal copyright content by the film chaps etc

I use netflix and its a £5 a month and apart from the new stuff there is heaps on it and its legal

PirateBay and other such things (torrents) also have problems that the downloads are 50/50 complete with hacks and viruses
Your ISP won't have any interest in policing your downloading habits. If you're direct downloading material then there's no chance of getting caught but if you're using a bittorrent based download such as torrents then you ipaddress will be visible to others in same swarm which means your ipaddress can get harvested and you'll receive the naughty boy letters. The letters come from the copyright holders or their agents but are forwarded by the ISP's in the UK because there's a legal requirement for them to do so.

There are ways to hide your ipaddress when using torrents but it can get a bit messy and it will cost money for a VPN, the bittorrent protocol was never designed to be anonymous, by its nature it requires ipaddresses are resolved during the process of transferring the file.

If you're using torrents you need to keep up to date with what's happening because of the cat and mouse game that constantly goes on. For a start get some news from one of the mainstream sites like torrentfreak, you can subscribe to their daily news emails. EZTV for example had their website hijacked recently by opportunists but funnily enough, The Pirate Bay that you mentioned specifically is pretty clean if you stick to the uploaders who have a good reputation, you can spot the idiots and the fakes a mile away if you know what you're looking for. If you're a regular bittorrent user you should make the effort and join a couple of the private torrent sites which are far better moderated and their content is squeaky clean.

One of the most prolific piracy issues at the moment is Popcorn Time. It's similar to Netflix on the front-end but in the background it uses bittorrent to stream the movies. As ever, the reason it's so popular is because of the insistence of the movie industry to try to hang on to the old style restrictive business models which include staggered global release dates, geo-blocking, region coding and opportunistic/inconsistant pricing structures etc etc plus Popcorn Time also usually offers better quality HD than Netflix does and the catalogue of movies available is far larger. Using Popcorn Time in the UK would be risky without a VPN because, as I mentioned, it uses the bittorrent protocol.

If you want any specific advice or info please send me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction.