Lg Direct Drive Bearings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 15807

Reaction score
Any one have any experience replacing the bearings on one of these?  Mine is making a noise when the drum is rotated and has a bit of play.  Looked at the case and it seems to be almost one piece of metal with an inspection hole at the back!

Should i just replace the machine?

I did this, but it turned out to be a piece of metal that had slipped out of some clothing and in between the basket and drum.

It sure seemed like a bad bearing, but in the end it was just some some junk.

I did this, but it turned out to be a piece of metal that had slipped out of some clothing and in between the basket and drum.

It sure seemed like a bad bearing, but in the end it was just some some junk.

Metal out of underwired bras..

And small bits from children's toys,  (e.g. Playmobile)   left in pockets love escaping into the freedom of the washing machine to cause mayhem!

Im always getting in trouble with the laundry assistant for leaving screws and little bits of junk in my trousers!

Sadly a lot of machines are now "one piece" with the pump for instance contained within the drum. You can have two identical looking Hotpoints the earlier model all accesible but the later one with Indesit guts and all "sealed".

Bra wires will often jam the impeller and cause pumping issues. Clunking, irregular sounds more serious though if it's "play" as in bouncy movement you do realise the drums are mounted on springs (shock absorbers in fact on better models) so side to side movement is normal. Grating, bits of loose metal sounds when you rotate by hand deffo not right and could be bearings in pieces. A repeatable "ting" "ting" type noise as you roate is probably something trapped somewhere.

Try the UK Whitegoods Forum for help and advice it is an excellent forum.

I have had unpleasant experiences with bra wires......leave it!

First one jammed the impeller. Unfortunately this happened during our kitchen move. Machine was full of washing. Didnt use machine for a week

Took hose off, machine juice came out, i smelled like an old peoples coach tour for about a week!

Second one, wire had got lodged twixt inner and outer drum. Three fricking hours to disembowel drum, retrieve wire, rebuild machine. Not very happy

Just sleighing

I have had unpleasant experiences with bra wires......leave it!

First one jammed the impeller. Unfortunately this happened during our kitchen move. Machine was full of washing. Didnt use machine for a week

Took hose off, machine juice came out, i smelled like an old peoples coach tour for about a week!

Second one, wire had got lodged twixt inner and outer drum. Three fricking hours to disembowel drum, retrieve wire, rebuild machine. Not very happy

Just sleighing
When I retrieved the last one my missus insisted she hadn't lost any wires off of any bras. The piece must have been 2" long. I offered to check the one she was wearing too but didn't get very far! :lol:

depending on model number some Lg machines can just have bearings knocked out or rear half replaced, but alot of the main problems on Lg direct drive is the rotar assy fails causing it to make noise similar to bearings gone