Service Magic

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This evening I've started getting emails from Service Magic.

So far in separate emails, I've been offered a full rewire of a 5 bedroom house in Glasgow, and general repair job in Falkirk

I don't recall ever signing up to anything like this.

It seems to be a company based in London

It's been discussed here before and it seemed you had to sign up and pay to get offers to quote (which I have not done)

Shame they are not offering me jobs closer to home.

I had a company like this phone me the other day telling me that they needed engineering services in my area.

So I asked what sort.

The guy had no clue.

He was basically trying to get me to sign the company up to one of these scams, it was mainly domestic so I told him we were VBAT reg'd and a ballpark rate per hr that we would not go below and if he had some work doing what we do, which he found difficult to understand as he thought machine tools were things like washing machines & cookers (!) to call me back, he had our email, & he asked if he could email me with some sample jobs, I said yes, but have heard nothing.   :slap

They are sending sample so called live leads for my local area but no contact details. I suppose I cold go through the telephone book and find some partial addresses myself and claim they were genuine leads. Thanks for the feedback I had thought that this was maybe not a good idea but its nice to get other peoples thoughts

Just thought i would mention that it is a criminal offence to charge someone to find them work.......

Cannot remember the act concerned, but take it from me, it is....

john...
but, they arent actually finding you any work, are they?

they are merely selling you someones contact details.,,,,,,,,  :|

Yes they want to sell you the details of somebody that has contacted them for a quote for a job. He said the lead would be sent to no more than 4 people and you paid for leads on a sliding scale from say an extra socket up to a full rewire. it just seems fishy to me.

worse still is your paying for the privalage of quoting against maybe 3 others. I ha about decided it was a bad idea a few days back but its worth an ask of other people as it could have been the best thing since sliced bread