Ex Forces Electrician Looking For Steady Work.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Sam

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm new on here and looking for work in the Sheffield/South Yorkshire area.

I have 

• ECS Health and Safety Certificate
  • Level 3 City & Guilds 2399-11 Solar PV Installation
  • Level 3 City & Guilds 2399-12 Solar PV Maintenance
  • 17th Edition Wiring Regulations
  • City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Work Course C
Installation Work and Regulations – Distinction

Electrical Science                            – Distinction

Project                                             – Distinction

·         Level 3 City & Guilds 2391 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations

·         Level 3 City & Guilds Certificate of Competence for the Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment

·         Level 3 City & Guilds Certificate in Electrical Theory and Practice

·         First Aid at Work Certificate

·         Full UK Driving Licence

And have recently left the forces to work as an electrician. I have a fair amount of on-site experience in the last few months including a full rewire on a farm house, board changes, outdoor sockets and lighting etc. The guy I have be working with is a great electrician but does not have enough days a week to pay me a wage. 

My situation is I have just had a big move back from Germany and that my wife is going back to uni in September, I have children starting school so I can't risk just setting up on my own any time in the next three years. 

What I can promise is a very hard working, reliable and punctual electrician with my own vehicle, tools and tester. I have a great working attitude and show pride in all my finished work. 

Thanks for reading, any advice will be greatly appreciated. I am willing to meet anyone on site/at home/pub for a chat and see if I can offer you what you want.

Search for Caval Leeds in google there always ringing me for work in Sheffield btw they are a agency but may have summat if your desperate !

I have regular texts sent to Me by Caval, commericial/industrial work. I have been told long term work on schools and water treatment works in Sheffield. Do you have your CSCS Card? if not, agencies wont touch you but its a card thats fairly easily sorted out.

Andy Guinness

Thanks, yeah I have the card. Really looking at getting on with another sparky at the moment though, i know that's not as easy as it may sound haha.

How do the agencies work? I am a little rusty on my trade atm due to 4 years of being in a non trade role in the forces so I'm not sure what they would expect of me.

With your quals go in as an electricians mate, do your NVQ3 and then sign up with the ECS, its based closely to the JIB and it means you can get signed off as a sparky. The difference in the end could be £160 a week in wages. Do you have your Unique Tax Reference Number? if not, go through HMRC to get it as some agencies will bleed your wages dry if you dont.

Andy Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I thought the C&G Lvl 3 and Course C was equivalent of NVQ? What extra work etc is the NVQ?

I have an ECS card but it's only graded electrical labourer because I don't have part P apparently. I don't know I'm new to all this haha, it was easy just being told what to do.

I do already have a unique tax number.

OK thanks, I'm getting a lot of mixed messages since I've been back :/

So I could have been doing parts of my NVQ  while on site just doing small jobs? 

Yes, but the full NVQ3 is more suited to Comm/Industrial. There is a fault finding section within the NVQ3, and you could do that in a domestic setting rather than one of the other 2, but you cant really do the whole NVQ3 doing domestic alone. There is word on the grapevine that there is a C&G 2397 coming out, which is purely a domestic NVQ, but I would try and do the whole thing personally rather than just a domestic NVQ on its own.

Andy Guinness

Thanks a lot Andy, you have been a great help. The guy I am with atm wants to help me as much as possible and does get a fair bit of commercial and industrial work, I'll make sure i get along to them and get the NVQ rolling. Cheers. 

Sparky Sam!

I'm looking for an ex-Forces electrician in Sheffield. We are an ex-Forces property maintenance/building team. 

Please can you contact me: 07400 533010/www.milifix.co.uk. Thanks, Lisa. 

Sparky Sam!

I'm looking for an ex-Forces electrician in Sheffield. We are an ex-Forces property maintenance/building team. 

Please can you contact me: 07400 533010/www.milifix.co.uk. Thanks, Lisa. 

Welcome to the forum, but if you look at his profile Sparky Sam last visited the forum on 5 Feb 2014, so is unlikely to reply to your post. As this is such an old thread there is little point in keeping it open. Any further questions by members who are still using the forum are probably best started on new topics.

Doc H.

Status
Not open for further replies.