Basic Question On Fm / Tv Faceplates

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This has arisen because a customer has asked me to change white accessories to chrome versions this will include a couple of TV points.

I know very little about aerials as wil become apparent.

The first two pictures show a combined FM/TV faceplate behind this are two coax cables - presumably one is from the TV aerial the other from the FM aerial. Customer does not want/use FM so I intend to just use a TV point and not connect the FM coax.

The second two pictures show a TV faceplate. Now behind this again there are two coax cables. I'm wondering is this just being used to join the incoming coax to the faceplate to provide TV in that room and then the second coax is a link to the other room where the combined FM/TV faceplate mentioned above is. I guess what I'm asking is is the single TV point which accepts two coax cables simply a junction? If so can I use a standard TV faceplate to join the two coax cables somehow?

Many thanks!

daisychaining tv points is not a good idea, but you can get away with it if the signal is very stong.

What you need to do is look behing the old points to see what's there before you buy the replacements 

daisychaining tv points is not a good idea, but you can get away with it if the signal is very stong.

What you need to do is look behing the old points to see what's there before you buy the replacements 
Sorry Dave I've obviously not explained myself very well - I was trying to describe what's behind the old points!!

The daisychaining appears to me to be how it's been done in the first place.

I was hoping that someone could confirm whether or not I've worked this out correctly?

I would test each point before touching them. Customers do lie, they may not even work or don't have a digital aerial connected. A cheap digital signal meter is available from most places including Screwfix.

Then you wont be caught out when the customer phones you up a week later to say  the tv wont work in a certain room. 

Thanks to all for their advice. I should have mentioned that this set up is in a purpose built flat and is the original aerial installation.

I will test out the coax to see what goes where. I will also invest in a signal meter.

If as I suspect the plate with the single point which accepts two coax cables is being used to join two coax cables how can I achieve this with a standard point which is only designed for one coax?

Thanks again!

Yes is sounds like loop through. If it worked before then it should work again.

Don't waste money on a signal meter unless you are going to do a LOT of aerial work.  I spent £58 on an August 7" LCD tv with both analogue and digital tuners, powered from it's own internal rechargeable batteries.  Tells you all you want for a fraction the price of a signal meter.

Thought I'd update everyone. This flat is in a block of about 16 flats using a communial aerial.

I changed the faceplates and succesfully tested that each of the new ones were working then left.

The client was on holiday whilst this work was being done - they returned to find a letter from the Management Agents to say that the work I'd done had taken out the TV reception from 3 other flats :Blushing .

A lesson learnt for me which I thought I'd share - maybe I can save somebody else making the same mistake!

Thought I'd update everyone. This flat is in a block of about 16 flats using a communial aerial.

I changed the faceplates and succesfully tested that each of the new ones were working then left.

The client was on holiday whilst this work was being done - they returned to find a letter from the Management Agents to say that the work I'd done had taken out the TV reception from 3 other flats :Blushing .

A lesson learnt for me which I thought I'd share - maybe I can save somebody else making the same mistake!

Thank you for the update. Although, I will point out the importance to everyone when asking questions to please post all of the details, even some things that you may think are not relevant. e.g. The comment I have only noticed in your last post "This flat is in a block of about 16 flats using a communial aerial." Possible if this information had been given in the opening post, some of our members may have advised how you could have avoided this little embarrassment of disconnecting other residents television signals. 

Do you think we can we close this thread now?

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the update. Although, I will point out the importance to everyone when asking questions to please post all of the details, even some things that you may think are not relevant. e.g. The comment I have only noticed in your last post "This flat is in a block of about 16 flats using a communial aerial." Possible if this information had been given in the opening post, some of our members may have advised how you could have avoided this little embarrassment of disconnecting other residents television signals. 

Do you think we can we close this thread now?

Doc H
Yes I know I should've mentioned this initially - and yes I knew I'd be pulled up on this by someone now - still I was willing to accept this and admit my mistake as a warning to others rather than hide it and say nowt.

Close the thread if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.