Moving A Ceiling Light To The Centre Of A Room.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max6979

Reaction score
A freind would like me to repostion a light to the centre of the room- does anyone have a method to get cable through the ceiling as there is no access ( loft is now a spare bedroom and carpet / floor cannot be touched)- I am currently thinking eithier making a chanel across the ceiling or trying to fish cable to the new position.  Also when the old light position has been spurred off do I need to keep the box accessible (eg if problem/ testing etc ?)and how would you go about this ( cover plate , smoke detector cover?)- ceiling is to be plastered in next 6 weeks and get impressioin that he wants totally no box/ cover plate on ceiling, just the new light position but thought that any junction box/connectors from old light position has to be accessible?

Would you provide Minor works cert ( I am on level 3 2365 course ) after job finished ?

Also does someone have a good site link to show TN-CS/TN-S ( photos / pictures ) as may need to identify the earthing/ supply system and I want to identify correctly for any Minor works cert I provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
An inaccessible junction must be a maintenance free connector e.g crimps or wago's in a suitable box.

Fishing through along the run of joists is easy using a fish wire or rods.

If you have to cross a number of joists then you need access from above to drill the joists, or cut access holes from below in the ceiling to be able to drill the joists then patch it up again. Not such a bad option if you are going to be skimming the ceiling soon anyway.

Just cut and patch access holes in the ceiling if its going to be skimmed anyway...

Wago (or similar) push fits for the junction....

Have you looked which way the joist run?

Have you looked yet how many cable are at the light?

It may be loop in/out at switch or j/box so only one cable at light anyway.

Guinness

The centre of a room would be a crazy place to put a light - people would be walking into it all the time. Maybe centre the light on the ceiling.............

If going across joists I drill 100mm holes in the ceiling at the joist. Drill joist. Then fish cable along using the 100mm holes.

When finnished I screw the 100mm circles back to the joist.

Can be filled or plastered over then.

Would you provide Minor works cert ( I am on level 3 2365 course ) after job finished ?

Also does someone have a good site link to show TN-CS/TN-S ( photos / pictures ) as may need to identify the earthing/ supply system and I want to identify correctly for any Minor works cert I provide.
You can get info on the various earthing arrangements all over the place. Here's one document but there's many more if you look around.

I would strongly suggest you shouldn't be working unsupervised or certifying work if you're not able to identify earthing arrangements. 

Thanks for all the advice and guidance -I am waiting to see if i get the job as I was expected to do the job for nowt and I gave a quote ( as I have done work for nowt in the past and was quickly forgotton whilst paid spark was given the work and was paid the going rate) - I think that he wants the work doing for alot less than I quoted.

Thats the trouble when you do a job for cheap it will then always be expected of you in the future.