3 Phase Supply Intennanted Property

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a customer with large victorian house split into flats, including his own. Now he is keen to have PV installed, and has big enough roof to take more than 4 kW. What I can't quite think is how we could arrange a 3 phase output when there are so many meters. Obviously the owner has single phase supply, and the 6 flats have their own key meters split across the phases. It's not unfeasible to break into the tails, but I'm concerned about Fit applications, and a mismatch of metering in general! Anyone come across this situation before?

roof isn't big enough for 12kW unfortunately, but I will have a word with Western Power - see if we can bung a few more amps down a single phase. We can get around 7kW on roof, but what I can't quite imagine is how it would work with key meters, no payment on meter would mean no output from system. The only other thing I can think of is tapping a 3 phase meter straight into the 3 phase head, bt that would probably involve a new MPAN number - something I've never tried getting before, but then solar farms must do this all the time.

I had a similar problem once.

A farm, had a 3 phase supply, but it was metered as 3 individual supplies to the farmhouse, a cottage, and the farm buildings.  All 3 meters side by side feeding submains to their respective buildings.

A tenant of the farm wanted a 3 phase supply to feed some woodworking machinery.

It would have technically been very easy to provide a 3 phase supply, but I could not see a way to do it legally as it would have been using a feed from 3 different "properties" so in the end he bought a rotary single to 3 phase converter.