Surface Room Stat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening chaps,

I'm stuck with making right after the plumber and spark...

They left the room stat screwed over the cable, just stripped the sheath off and didn't screw the stat back tightly. This leaves the cores showing

Room is all decorated now - typical. I tried the stat on a pattress but the stat is too small and doesn't sit right. I've seen this issue before but not a solution, any ideas?

I don't want to replaced the stats if I can avoid it and chasing is out of the question, as is drilling from the other side of the wall.

Many thanks.

I'm not understanding the problem.

Is the cable surface mounted, hence the exposed conductors?

Can you not just move the thermostat a bit to cover the problem?

A picture would be helpful

Could you not fit a back box over it, then a blank on that cut/drilled to take the stat?

Not quite the best solution, and, would stick a fair way off the wall, but, it could work?

Plus if the cables are too short to reach the stat, then you would have the box to use as a JB to extend them.

Hmm, I'll get a picture next time I'm there, cable has spare length length, so that's not an issue.

If it wasn't for the threaded inserts of the pattress, the stat would actually fall into the box. The height and width of the stat is smaller than the internal dimensions of the pattress, unless I've picked up an odd sized pattress - unlikely.

The stat is flat backed too.

Sideys idea may be the best option, switch box with blank plate and the stat on that.

Obvious after some sleep, thanks for the replies chaps.

Could you not fit a back box over it, then a blank on that cut/drilled to take the stat?

Not quite the best solution, and, would stick a fair way off the wall, but, it could work?

Plus if the cables are too short to reach the stat, then you would have the box to use as a JB to extend them.
+1

Ive done that loads of times,

works with programmers too, use a dual box and 2 single blank plates,  :D

25or32mm holecutter used very gently, be careful of the blank plate simply shattering.

Another thing to try is one of those light switch protector plates, you know, the things that go behind a light switch to protect the wallpaper from clumsy fingers.

the hole in them is a little smaller than the size of a 1G plate. So I'm thinking that might be small enough for your thermostat to not go through.

If that works, then it will possibly be easier and neater than a drilled 1G plate (it will stick out from the wall less)

Worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening,

Sorry for the delay getting back and thanks for all the replies, amazing how a 7 month old ties up your time. 

The back plate was still there but its not big enough to sit it on a pattress.  You can see what the original guy did - note the use of the cores...

As you see the stat rocks on the thread inserts:

I went for the pattress lid - obvious really when you've had some sleep, looks OK

Some other stuff - multipurpose green/yellow - but not to earth anything

Tidy install...

Thanks again for the suggestions, much appreciated. 

There would originally have been an extra backplate supplied with that stat so it would have fitted a standard patress. Otherwise what's the point in using the standard spaced mounting screws?

Did nobody tell the plumtrician that thermostats don't generally work well in the corner of a room?

That job was as rough as F.

Dave, Ive used a few of those type stats before, normally supplied by the plumber cos they came with the boiler or whatever,

and sometimes the backplate is an extra you have to buy seperately, wtf?  :shakehead

It's actually sited light switch style beside the doors back mold - away from draughts - not. The upstairs zone stat is almost in the window reveal, tut shake head tut tut. Hey ho, they're happy with positions.

I forgot to add the junction box supported with thin air and the blue taped outside of the box, brown and g/y connected blue just kept out of the way, lord only lnows the thought behind that.

Downstairs zone rads still not getting warm, valve opens but it's as if they're is a restriction in the pipework, I'm just waiting for my plumb it to have a look at that for them.

The install is well rough, 30k of building work and it's all nasty. But they were checked and vetted....

When you see work done like this, and they are getting paid for it, it just shows that people don't know what they are getting.

It may have been a cheap job or a mate job, its total cr*p either way