The Death Of The Green Deal?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]25.10.2013: UK Prime Minister David Cameron has promised to review so-called green levies in an effort to reduce gas and electricity bills, reports the BBC. Currently, about 9% of the average UK household’s energy bill goes toward funding green energy support schemes. This, the Tory prime minister says, must change: »We…need to roll back the green charges that [Labour Party politician Ed Miliband] put in place as energy secretary.« However, the Lib Dem Party, which is governing in coalition with the Conservative Party, has said that it want to keep the green taxes in place, arguing that they are essential to creating a sustainable and environmentally friendly energy supply for the UK. Cameron’s latest attack on green levies comes just after three of the UK’s »big six« energy suppliers announced price increase of between 8% and 10%. The average price of gas and electricity paid by UK households has risen by about 18% and 9% in real terms since 2010 and by about 41% and 20% in real terms since 2007. The costs of energy and climate change policies are estimated to have contributed about 15% of the increase, according to the BBC. Green energy measures currently cost the average UK household £112 ($181) per year. There are seven energy and climate programs that receive funding via household energy bills. These are the Energy Companies Obligation (ECO) program, the Renewables Obligation (RO) scheme, the FIT scheme, the EU/ETS and CPF Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) programs, the Warm Home Discount scheme and the Smart Meters & Better Billing program. The ECO program, which helps low-income families make energy efficiency improvements, costs ratepayers the most: 4% of their bill goes toward funding this program. The RO and FIT schemes, which support the deployment of renewable energy generation systems, account for 2% and 1%, respectively, of the average UK household energy bill. Cameron has not said which support schemes he is targeting and has not specified how he plans make changes to the green measures. © PHOTON[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The green taxes Cameron is talking about are exactly what funds the Green Deal, or certainly the ECO bit[/SIZE] which is the only section of this 'flagship policy' that's actually moving. Of 80,000 assessments , currently just 20 people have signed up, the rest either not bothering, or realising its cheaper to finance it themselves. So, if they won't touch a flagship policy, what's the betting they hit the FiT rates and RHI rates.

I'd better get an electric supply to my new plot and some solar PV installed before theu pull the rug completely from Solar PV then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the quote and my thought is 'good'. I honestly don't think we should be subsidising these things as taxpayers.

If you want green energy then that is great. If you produce a surplus and want to sell it back to the grid that also fine, but they should pay you the wholesale price of the electricity, not some ramped up gold plated figure. You guys know that you can't actually tell how the electrons were excited in the first place - it all just electrical energy.

Going up to Scotland recently they have shat on the landscape covering huge areas with wind turbines. Turning some areas of natural beauty into eyesores.

The people I feel sorry for are you guys who have adapted your business to 'tap into' this market.

Canoeboy said:
Its all wrong

Look at the road tax - why not dump it and all the staff and stick X% on fuel - the further you drive on the roads the more you pay.....

Another simple idea that will never happen.....

Just Moaning......
Agree it's all wrong!

Road tax, now that is a debatable point.

The thing is most of the Muppets on the road are drivers who don't, that is they drive very little, and cause most of the mayhem on the road.

Our Daughters are learning to drive, one is in Uni 50 miles away, about an hour on the MWay, or 1.5 hrs via the A roads.

Twice now her sister has driven up to see her, on the A road route, probably more than 60 miles the long way round with Mrs SW in the passenger seat, once with me in the back! Not pleasant, because I don't like travelling in the back of cars, but I digress...

Thing is some of her friends the same age, have passed their driving tests and still never driven more than a few miles in one stint, certainly not 50 or 60, one of their friends mothers has NEVER driven on the Mway, now in her late 30's passed her test around 10 years ago.

There are "drivers" & "DRIVERS"! ;)

my wifes sister, 40 something, will NOT drive on the Mway, neither will her friend, late 40's, and both been driving in excess of 15years,  :shakehead

how they can get anywhere in a reasonable timescale is beyond me, we live <5mins from the M60 so its a doddle to jump on it and just go,

unless its gridlocked of course,  :|

BTW, neither of them will go anywhere with me as they are SH** scared I will go on the Mway,,,,,,,,,,,

I quite like wind turbines, but don't like the sheer size of the latest units. They are truly huge, whereas the early turbine farms are quite dinky and unobtrusive by comparison, Not much more than the traditional windmills formerly used to grind corn. Never quite understood why they are painted white to really stick out like a sore thumb...

Tell you what they should do. Knock the LOT of the things down... I agree with Apache; why should taxpayers subsidise all this solar panel nonsense. Renationalise the lot, we have 300 years worth of coal under us, why not use it and create some employment at the same time.

Now lets look at the Germans...... By 2020 they are going to have another 20, yes, TWENTY coal fired power stations up and running. They are building them as fast as they can... Wonder why Germany is the richest country in europe?? Now the Americans are bankrupt, probably the world.. Because thay have common sense is why...

Vorsprung durch technic as they used [and probably still do!] say...

john.....

Comsider this also, how long has it taken to get a new power station through planning, public enquiries, residents objections etc etc, and how much has that cost the taxpayer. So subsidising small scale renewable installations is probably quite cost effective, and is plugging the energy gap now, not 10 years time. As for wind turbines, I like the fact it reminds everyone that energy has to be generated, and saving energy is probably a good idea. Also the more energy generated through renewables, the less demand there is on gas / coal / etc, so the future price rises will be reduced.