Btec Level 3 Advanced Certificate In Electrical Installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger Bob

Reaction score
I've reached that stage in my life where I fancy a change of direction and am looking to re-train as an Electrician. I came across a distance-learning version of the BTEC Level 3 for £445 which I thought was a bargain for a level 3 qualification. It also doesn't require me to have any previous electrical experience! With C&G,you can only get a Level 2 certificate without experience. Being an old cynic, I'm thinking there must be a catch? Can anyone tell me whether this particular BTEC qualification is recognised by the industry or not? From what I've seen so far, only C&G qualifications are recognised by the Electrical industry. Am I wrong?

What EXACTLY does the course content state it teaches????

To think you can become an "Electrician" from scratch, with no prior electrical knowledge or experience...

on a £445 teach yourself-at-home-course...

Is a bit like my lad thinking he will become a professional footballer...

or Formula 1 driver by playing his mates on-line from home on the PS3!!

It may give you a basic understanding of a few regulations & some electrical principals..

But I doubt you would be a very valuable commodity to many potential employers within the electrical industry...

But if you got money to spare..   give it a go see where it gets you....

But in the words of financial investment adverts..

Remember the value of your investment can go down as well as up!

Guinness

Hello Bob 

Why don't you try to speak with your local college about a course that is more suitable for you. I am at college at the moment (I am 33 years old) and we got a student in 50's. i think you will got more chances to get a job like that. It will cost you more but it will probably pay off later. I wish you good luck.

This is what the blurb says:-

The Distance Learning BTEC Level 3 Advanced Certificate in Electrical Installation course will help you gain a detailed understanding of this industry and will cover the following subjects:

 Health, Safety and Welfare in Construction and the Built Environment (60 hours)

 Electrical Principles in Building Services Engineering (60 hours)

 Electrical Installation Standards and Components in Building Services Engineering (60 hours)

I dont want to throw money away on a qualification that is not recognised. I remember studying BTEC qualifications when I first went to college. They replaced the old ONC and HNC qualifications so I know they are (were?) well respected in their day.

Just need some sound advice. It's a Level 3 qualification and that's what I understand the Electrical Industry is looking for electricians to have. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello Bob 

Why don't you try to speak with your local college about a course that is more suitable for you. I am at college at the moment (I am 33 years old) and we got a student in 50's. i think you will got more chances to get a job like that. It will cost you more but it will probably pay off later. I wish you good luck.
Already looked into the College courses but as I'm working I can only do evening classes and they all started back in September. Would have to wait another year to get on a course. Have looked at some of the Training Centres also, but they're silly money and I'm not sure they're all they're cracked up to be.

I've reached that stage in my life where I fancy a change of direction and am looking to re-train as an Electrician. I came across a distance-learning version of the BTEC Level 3 for £445 which I thought was a bargain for a level 3 qualification. It also doesn't require me to have any previous electrical experience! With C&G,you can only get a Level 2 certificate without experience. Being an old cynic, I'm thinking there must be a catch? Can anyone tell me whether this particular BTEC qualification is recognised by the industry or not? From what I've seen so far, only C&G qualifications are recognised by the Electrical industry. Am I wrong?
Surely this is a wind up?

do you really think you can become an electrician by doing a distance learning course? even if you do, you will struggle to find work through lack of qualifications / knowledge / experience. and if i was looking to employ someone, you wouldnt have any chance

This was why I was asking if he had done any other course. He will need to do other levels before even having any chance of being recognised as being an electrician.

This is what the blurb says:-

The Distance Learning BTEC Level 3 Advanced Certificate in Electrical Installation course will help you gain a detailed understanding of this industry and will cover the following subjects:

 Health, Safety and Welfare in Construction and the Built Environment (60 hours)

 Electrical Principles in Building Services Engineering (60 hours)

 Electrical Installation Standards and Components in Building Services Engineering (60 hours)

I dont want to throw money away on a qualification that is not recognised. I remember studying BTEC qualifications when I first went to college. They replaced the old ONC and HNC qualifications so I know they are (were?) well respected in their day.

Just need some sound advice. It's a Level 3 qualification and that's what I understand the Electrical Industry is looking for electricians to have. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Already looked into the College courses but as I'm working I can only do evening classes and they all started back in September. Would have to wait another year to get on a course. Have looked at some of the Training Centres also, but they're silly money and I'm not sure they're all they're cracked up to be.
I would recommend that you look into doing a college course which gives you practical experience as well teaching you the theory side of things. Instead of starting the BTEC course now (and in my opinion wasting time and money), why don't you use the time between now and September to save up money and apply for an apprenticeship so that you can do an NVQ level 3?

There are no upper age limit for apprenticeships, and I have met a guy who started his in his fifties. If you are serious about changing career then it's worth doing it properly, because if you don't have practical experience you are unfortunately unlikely to find employment once you have finished your course.

Surely this is a wind up?

do you really think you can become an electrician by doing a distance learning course? even if you do, you will struggle to find work through lack of qualifications / knowledge / experience. and if i was looking to employ someone, you wouldnt have any chance
Nope is the answer to your question. But I was hoping that the BTEC course would give me a good theoretical grounding in the basics just like the Level 2 NVQ qualification but at a fraction of the cost. Anyway I now might wait for the C&G2357 to be taught in evening class. Sounds like thats the only viable route now.