Things I Don't Like

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toml

Reaction score
Few little things that are getting right on my wick at the moment

1) driving to site with the apprentice and he falls asleep.......i notice this and regardless of how awake I was previously all I can think of is "********** hell I'm tired all of sudden" can barely keep my eyes open. Can't crank the radio up and sing at the top of my voice like I would if I was on my tod.

2) on site (with the apprentice again) ask him to go and get a junction box etc etc. comes back 5mins later "ent got none"............yes we have I got a box of them last week and I've only used 2......,,,"honestly there's none on the van"

I stop what I'm doing and put my hands straight on them turn round and roll my eyes

3) people who think they know everything..........yet really know **** all. Had a classic on Monday from a bathroom fitter "you can't wire a socket circuit on a radial they have to be ring circuit"..................what the hell are you talking about!

4) customers/gaffer. "I've got a chandelier that needs to be fitted on the stairwell" ok should only take me half a day at the most inc travel etc.........turn up. No existing cable there, they want it wiring on a 2 way switch, the stairwell is under a skylight with no fixing to the roof so I've got to find a way to fix it centrally.......and the chandelier comes in 5 boxes with no instructions or photo of the finished product GREAT cheers for that!

5) gaffer........I've been pestering for a pay rise so they call me into the office.....we've given you and extra pound an hour it's not much we know but you are getting a new van next..........oh thanks that's makes up for the shortfall of the extra fiver an hour I'm due.......but that doesn't matter coz I'm getting a new van....cheers

Feel free to add your own

Last edited by a moderator:
When you are told the job is a rush job.

So you tell the joiners what you need to proceed the job.

you take 2 days off on another job.

when you go back the joiners have done nothing, and nobody even bothered to tell you it was a waste of time you coming because you can't get on.

You do a job, then get call theres a problem.

You arrive and its nothing to do with what you have done, but nobody beleives you and wsnts it fixed for nothing as its your fault.

The manic onslaught of Christmas advertising on TV .      TV adverts drive me up the wall at the best of times , trying to watch a film or drama with the constant breaks for brainwashing     erm  adverts annoys me TBH .    

Bloody pop stars trotting out their crappy Christmas albums  that probably only get played once .

Bloody Builder's radios playing the same old saccharin stuff all day ...." When the Snowman brings the Snow ......"      "I wish it could be Christmas everyday ......"         Oh  begger off  

Bah  Humbug!! 

you get asked for first fix the front rooms first so they can be plastered / decorated

you go back 2 days later and it isnt plastered, but the back rooms are now being decorated and it hasnt been wired yet

Only tradesmen would moan about having their transport provided, so they don't have to provide their own transport to get to work like everyone on else does

Last week i got a call from customer "can you please turn up friday dinnertime, as kitchen fitter will be here, so you can sort built in oven and microwave"

He arrived at 4.55pm just as i was about to go home! Grrrr!

We have a customer who has purchased a house on the local millionair's estate.   Previous owners jailed for VAT fraud , trashed house before leaving , including cutting through water pipes & ripping radiators off the walls , leaving water running for I don't know how long.    House would be worth £1m I'd guess.

He gave us a list of electrical work and the keys,  to come & go as we like as it will be months before we can move in , house is very damp and is to have floor heating coils installs and fired up to help dry it out.

So , what we call a "hospital job"   do a couple of days a week on it working our way through the list .

So, customer enlists the services of a plasterer to follow on... but being of that ilk, suddenly decides he wants all the upstairs ...immediately ....as he now needs the work. !!!    And guess what .as usual..customer starts jumping to his tune ...." We need to do this "   "We need to do that"  so the plasterer can get in .    

Unfortunately we have no responsibility to ensure this unknown creature's continuity of employment in the same way that no one has ever considered the same for us .......so we continue with our original plan.

So ..things I don't like...plasterers..... who always seem to think they are the most important trade on the job.

Everything above, plus....

Made up job titles to impress the gullible, ie...barista

The addition of technician. To a JOB that does not warrant it......nail. TECHNICIAN

ditto."..................ENGINEER.............. Double glazing. ENGINEER, service. ENGINEER

Cheese straight out of the fridge

ADVERTS OR PROMOTIONAL GARBAGE THAT. Uses twaddle...Empowers, working towards, partnership, academy, global

OF instead of HAVE

There their your you're used incorrectly

The two line rhyming couplet underneath the Rupert. Bear cartoons

Associated sales that aren't.............got some A2 cap head bolts from screwfix today and was asked if I wanted some deicer

Ipad spell checker

My neighbours

Intolerant people.........

.....just sleighing

All the above except .....The rhyming couplets under Rupert Bear cartoons .

Memories of long ago , to the safe world of childhood..and the world of Nutwood...where upon starting school I found I could already read  and it was due to my Mom reading Rupert Bear annuals to me , then coaxing me to read the speech balloons AND the rhyming couplets below.

The little Bear planted the seed

And starting school I could already read

English was easy from that day fore

But doing my sums was always a chore !

And now you've taken me back in time .........both eyes seem to be watering ....must be all this grit blowing about the office  :Blushing  

Its the time of year I think.

Is it the CCTV cameras or the Christmas lights?

;)
:Applaud :^O

Sorry, but i HAVE to stand my ground on Rupert....gives me goose bumps.

No problem with the cast or the story, its just the couplets, sorry.

Mind you, as we all know, I do have issues!
You do have tissues ? :C

OK   But if you start on Just William or the Famous Five there'll be trouble !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Things I dislike... 8 more weeks signed off before I can get back to work. I dont know what's worse, no money coming in or my brain slowly turning to mush.

Christmas perfume and Aftershave adverts

The tw@ who pushed my 3 year old granddaughter out of the way today whilst we were shopping. He now feels about 2" tall AND all those in the shop know it now!

Crap coffee

Running out of coffee

"Have a nice day"

Cold callers

Foreign call centres

Being bugged for 3 months by Denmans for something that I did not order, did not receive. They cannot even understand the credit note that they have issued for the amount.....pr@s

Invalid warranties

Price of Diesel compared to petrol

Spitting

Football

Borrowing without asking

Having to ask for the return of something that has been borrowed

Paying to park in my own town

Blunt wood chisels

Batteries going flat 1 minute before you have finished with them

Taking every tool that i need to do a job APART. From the ones I actually need

Terminal screws breaking

Instructions that do not work

Doctors receptionists

Faulty ATM machines

People that say "yeah" or "ok" at the end of every sentence, you know?

Reality TV shows

"Celebrity"

Bruce Forsythe (twice)

Alan Carr

Probably a couple more as well

I had forgotten about Lionel Blair

Boy Bands

Boom boom "music" in cars that makes the entire road vibrate

Drivers of the cars above

People who throw the carp,that they have not eaten from McDs out of the window

Customers who tell you how long a job will,take

Most modern art