Hmrc Scam Email

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just received a scam from so called HMRC  .

Dear Applicant ,     ( So they don't know my name eh!  )

They have checked my records for the last 7 years and found a refund is owing o £ 300.00 odd £s   please download these forms and fill in your bank details   ( Yeah!)  

Your refund will take 3 weeks .

Sod off.  

Just received a scam from so called HMRC  .

Dear Applicant ,     ( So they don't know my name eh!  )

They have checked my records for the last 7 years and found a refund is owing o £ 300.00 odd £s   please download these forms and fill in your bank details   ( Yeah!)  

Your refund will take 3 weeks .

Sod off.  
if they said 3 month, or 3 years, then it may be believeable

Actually if you make an overpayment you get it within 10 days of your accountant notifying them and it includes inteterest. It works both ways though if you make an underpayment you have to pay in full the underpayment straight away.

I still don't get how these scams work.

If you are only giving your bank account details (which are printed on every cheque you issue) then HOW does that allow them to debit money from the account?

Is it only Windoze then that get all this stuff.   

The three things that convinced me were ;

1)   Did not use my name .

2)  They would write in snail mail with something like that .

3)  HMRC only use y BT  email addresss .

I just received this,

Dear ***********@**********.co.uk

After the last yearly computations of your financial functioning we have defined that you have the right to obtain a tax rebate of 934.80. Please confirm the tax rebate claim and permit us have 6-9 days so that we execute it. A rebate can be postponed for a variety of reasons. For instance confirming unfounded data or applying not in time.

To access the form for your tax rebate, view the report attached. Document Reference: (********).

Regards, HM Revenue Service. We apologize for the inconvenience.

The security and confidentiality of your personal information is important for us. If you have any questions, please either call the toll-free customer service phone number.
© 2014, all rights reserved

What shall i spend the money on  ?

Where do they think i come from, Cloud cuckoo land !

Well I guess you've been doing some work in the states? Call toll free, Yankee Doodle dandy saying?!
Yep, plus other Yanky bits like Z's & no £ sign.  No names or account numbers, just the email

They did cover there tracks more than usual as its  normally easy to find the real email it came from, this kept showing as the HMRC web site.

Latest posts