How Much Is It Likely To Cost Me ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhamartin

Reaction score
Hi been told today I ve got to pay for a electric oven point to be fixed in my home that I rent. Can anybody tell me how much it's likely to cost me. I already have a electricity supply to my electric oven but going from duel fuel to full electric.

Also can anybody install it ASAP ( I m in the Brighton area) ?????

Martin

Who told you?  It's your house, surely you decide what's in it?

If you had a dual fuel cooker before, that usually means gas oven, electric hob.  The hob takes more power than the oven usually,  so it's quite likely the supply that fed the hob can deal with an all electric cooker already.

Give us some more details. Like what's the rating of the MCB that feeds the hob supply? and what's the power rating of the all electric cooker you intend to fit.

As to costs, I doubt anyone can tell you that. It depends if a new cable needs installing, and if so it's highly dependant on how far from the kitchen to the consumer unit, and what is involved in running a new cable between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is a rented property why are you having to pay for it? Is this something that your landlord should cover?

As Dave says a bit more info is required on existing set up.

I read it as the OP was the landlord, and I was questioning why the landlord should pay it?

Clarification needed?

As a Landlord myself, I rent my property as it is, and if the tenant wanted to fit a different type of cooker to what was there, I would expect the tenant to pay the cost of the alterations.

We have separate gas hob and electric oven. We want a full electric stove and we were going to have one today however when the guys from Currys came to install it they couldn't / wouldn't because we don t have a electric oven point. We had presumed the present connection would be ok. The connection would have to come from the electricity unit in the kitchen cupboard next to the present hob / oven. I m going to phone around tomorrow to get a rough idea on the price for what's involved.

Thanks for the clarification.

As you only have an electric oven at present, and they don't take much power, the existing point will be no good.

But the good news is the Consumer unit is close by so it shouldn't be a big job. as long as the consumer unit is up to date. If not it opens another can of worms instead.

We have no choice but to replace our present oven as it has burnt it's surrounding unit as the temperature control hasn t worked for ages and everything we cook is cooked on a very high temperature. We were hoping the landlord would pay as we can t really afford this added expense the cooker had cost us all our spare cash. We didn't expect the landlord to pay for our choice in stove.

Update We are now getting a refund for the cooker so everything is on hold just got to get a family invite for Xmas dinner now and get used to using the hob and microwave for all other meals. Will have to re look at this in the new year.

If the oven is included in the house as a "fixture" then the landlord most definitely should fix it.

A new built in oven is not that much money, so keep pestering the landlord until he sorts it out.

you should have raised this complaint as soon as the thermostat started acting up.

I would also add it's probably dangerous to keep trying to use an overheating oven.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defo a landlord problem if existing is an inbuilt unit, as said harass the landlord it's his/her problem.

Out of interest is there a large cooker switch on the wall that isolates the supply to the outlet in the kitchen cupboards? Is the outlet in the cupboard a socket? I'm guessing that there is likely to be a separate cooker circuit with an isolation switch on the wall feeding down to the cupboard adjacent to the oven, if the existing is a built in single oven then likely that a socket was put on, what you have brought may now require a fixed cooker outlet plate which may be what the curry's guys were on about, so may not have been that expensive after all?

As others have said, its the landlords responsibility to provide a working safe cooker. If you want to change the type then its your problem but you must get the landlords consent in writing and would have to put back as is ,or leave your cooker when you vacate the premises. 

You could try saying less Gas safe tests, less maintenance if you go all electric so cheaper for the landlord  ( bit of BS never hurt).  Wiring a new cooker point may also mean having to upgrade the earthing and bonding .