Savings With Infrared Heating?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillT

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was thinking about installing infrared heating in my property as I have read a lot of information and comments that this type of heating can save up to 50% on energy costs. Is infrared heating that cost effective? Any experience, thoughts or advices would be much appreciated.

Dunno. IR is supposed to heat solid objects and not the air. Fine when on, but I suspect the house cools fast when turned off.

We go the complete opposite in an old stone cottage with storage heaters - the walls are thermal mass that hold heat.

If we let the house get cold it can take a few days to properly warm up.

(walls over 2 foot thick)

as above. electric heating is pretty much 100% efficient. less heat in = less heat out. so if your 'saving' 50% on electric, then you are getting 50% less heat

Are you thinking of IR heating for indoor or outdoor areas or both?
I am thinking about installing infrared heating in my house, so for indoor use. Do you have any experience using infrared?

As I understand it, IR heating works well in places like a church, that are cold most of the time, and you just want to provide some confort during a service without having to warm the whole building.

I find them irritating to sit in front of, as they give out a lot of light as well as heat, like sitting in front of a spotlight all the time.

For a house, I woudl think you will have big problems. The fabric of the house will be much colder than conventional heating meaning you are much more likely to have issues with condensation.

At the end of the day, to keep a house warm requires a certan number of KWh of heat input.  the only way to reduce cost is find a cheaper from of heat (which electricity is not) or improve the insulation so you need fewer KWh of heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking about installing infrared heating in my house, so for indoor use. Do you have any experience using infrared?
Only on machinery and industrial process heating and I've seen them used as stoep heaters but never in a house. I know you get various wavelengths of infrared heater, some of them appear like bright red/orange lighting and some are not in the visible range. Maybe you can give us a link to the type of heater you're thinking about.. 

Only on machinery and industrial process heating and I've seen them used as stoep heaters but never in a house. I know you get various wavelengths of infrared heater, some of them appear like bright red/orange lighting and some are not in the visible range. Maybe you can give us a link to the type of heater you're thinking about.. 
I have already contacted some companies to receive their best offers. I quite like infraredtechnologies . co . uk infrared panels and they sell them at a good price. It seems that panels do not have an orange/red glow that industrial infrared heaters have..

What a load of old S. H. Y. T. E. 

strange that it will not ensure complete happiness though but

Bad news is.....

based on the time frames from this thread...

you may have to wait another 7 years for a reply from "Spam-Direct-Heating"

so don't Google back too often..

or you will be disappointed and have a negative input to your satisfactions and happiness!!!

so beware!

:C